Ke10 Strut Insert - URGENT

rolln69

Been out and about this morning with very little found. I am waiting to hear back from my local Peders suspension with what will work. I also have a good friend I completed my Mech Eng with who is an F1 handling engineer(can't name the team or driver though) chasing up euro options too.

What i did find was the part numbers at peders are the same for ke20 through to ke55. Unfortunately they only have one insert in stock and aren't re-ordering until Jan next year ☹ 

I'm now desperate my as my car is on stands until I figure something out. On the up side of it all, it will give me a chance to take final measurements so I can spin up some nolathane wishbone bushes.

Edited by kickn5k
Spelling

Members dont see this ad

I had a look at a Tokico listing I have. Unfortunately it doesn’t include any measurements as I had hoped to isolate some options. And interestingly has no listing at all for an RX7. 

There are some rabbit bilsteins in Ringwood on eBay, but looking at the pics, I’m not sure how they locate in a macpherson strut. I think the rabbit inserts sound most likely to have upgrade options that are also available, at least after a quick look on eBay, as long as they can be installed in the strut and aren’t too far out in the other measures. 

Edited by parrot

These ones  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/bilstein-strut-insert-vw/332450561866?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

One of the links I posted earlier does comment that some brands seem to have a slightly narrower fitment, whilst as Jono says, other don't fit

There are also some KYB excel G's 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Cabriolet-Jetta-Rabbit-Front-Suspension-Strut-Cartridge-KYB-Excel-G-361005/351444081785?hash=item51d3b31c79:g:NOYAAOSwjVVVln~N

But yes, they would be a punt to buy unmeasured.  And we don't even know anything about these regarding length or stroke.

I've been sitting on this for a while still. I spoke to a mate who's been playing around with corollas for years and he said why don't I just put complete ke20/25 struts in...do you guys know much about this?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that its because of more positive camber...

I know Harvie went with KE2x struts when he built his (work done by .T.) 4AGZE KE15. I gather it wasn’t simple but not aware of the specifics. 

Stu, I have some NOS KE1x lower arm bushes if that helps your measurements, if that is what you are making. Happy to send you one. 

On 16/11/2017 at 6:28 PM, parrot said:

Measurement of a NOS Tokico strut cartridge S1002 

Standard fitment

Body length.          430mm

Base body to top piston on maximum compression   495mm

Base body to top piston on maximum extension.  685mm

Piston stroke   190mm

Body diameter   38mm

I asked the ebay guy for the same measurements for the rabbit bilsteins.  

body length 320, compressed 430
Extended 545 diameter 38. Stroke 115

On 23/11/2017 at 10:20 AM, rolln69 said:

Kickn5k I just realised that it was your post I read lol. Can you tell me why you ditched this set up? And must you run 20 ball joints when you swap the strut...

Why I'm ditching them is for a number of reasons.

1. I have my camber plates maxed out and it still has a half of a degree of positive camber.

2. It will also give you a heap of negative caster, while making it epic on turn in, makes it really darty and unnerving at 80km or above, if the roads not perfect.

3. The ke20 ball joint must be used, biggest problem with that is, they are slightly loose in the wishbone. Mine has two small tack welds to hold it in place.

My car sufferers from severe bump steer and tram tracking, while the semi slick rubber on the front probably contributes to the tracking slightly i'm thinking getting back to standard geomety will give me a better base to work from.

12 hours ago, parrot said:

I asked the ebay guy for the same measurements for the rabbit bilsteins.  

body length 320, compressed 430
Extended 545 diameter 38. Stroke 115

Look pretty close.

Spoke to Stuart the other day about what they'd used in Tommy's car and he put 4kg coilover kit and used Munroe #25-3810 gt gas which appears to be ke-20 to ke-55 listed numbers. Said it handled great with nice ride comfort.