pics and vids of some engine functions

rebuilder86

nah haha. 

thats my wheel jack box, it is placed there for2 reasons.

that position can handle the leaking hydraulic fluid from the shity jack, which would otherwise destroy the protective paint in the back, and the box assists in stopping air slipping past the gap there. i force it all through the radiator for maximum cooling. i was really happy when i found it sat there nicely.

As for a 6 cylinder, there is plenty of room for a v6, but i have fallen in love with this engine. parts are everywhere here. 2 weeks ago, we had an incident with thw multicab, timing belt snapped. In the back of a trusty locals ute to get a replacement, at a sari sari store in the middle of nowhere where we got the belt, was parts for a toyota 4k , valve seals, rings, bearings, oil filter, and I'm sure i saw a f@@king clutch all nestled right behind the soy sauce and pancit canton.

Members dont see this ad

but seriously, the reason there is so much room uo front is because they used an old fabrication measurment table and mold for the grill and bonnet and mudguards left here in WW2 for the manufactur of willys jeeps locally. Thats just how it was then and they just stuck to it. This all happens in a place called Cavite on the island of Luzon. 

It is here, that u would all arive with a hard on. A sea container full of surplus 3k and 4k engines from japanese recyclers who get more money selling and shipping them to the philippines as engines, than just scrapping the metal.

Yikes !   Sounds like Cavite could be a good holiday destination for serious Rollaclub members next year. 

Take 2 empty suitcases & fill them up.

Found 7 things to do whilst in Cavite.

https://trip101.com/article/things-to-do-cavite-city-philippines

Maybe they should add an 8th thing to do.

8. Pick up some cheap 4K parts for your Rolla back in Ozz !

image.thumb.png.f8b028469bff2da652b8c4fcfa340a3b.png

SPOT THE  4K & WIN A FREE TRIP TO CAVITE FOR CHRISTMAS !

Love it.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

i went to the Cebuano equivalent of a jap wrecker in cebu city, and it was a warehouse like that. i wanted a brake caliper. the guy took my caliper, in his thongs and singlet with his cigarete, climbed up the stack of transmissions precariously balanced on one another, and just started digging.

i though to myself how hopeless it was, considering the brakes are from a 1970s toyota cressida/ liteace. then he came up about a minute later with the calipers, and a bunch of other parts i MIGHT be interested in.

this place is just amazing.

and someyhing else i wanted to discuss.

vacuum advance, and mixture.

there is an internet wide missconception that manifold vacuum advance at idle is for "the lean conditions at idle and light cruise"

at idle, the mixture is actually richer than perfect, because the vacuum is pulling fuel out of the idle jet via negative static pressure. as opposed to any other throttle position which uses venturi (negative dynamic preasure).

the "static" suction is acting on the fuel and pulls a eixh mix. remember mixture is how many parts weight air to fuel.

i learned this in aircraft general knowledge but the principles still apply to the car engine.

see this link.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ratio-of-air-fuel-mixture-during-idling-cruising-and-at-high-speeds

So why do we have vacuum advance at idle, because there is simply less of everything, both air (containing oxygen) and fuel at idle, but much less air than fuel and this needs a head start. idle advance has nothing to so with a lean mixture.

this is the first article ive read that is correct. Read it all.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1607-tune-your-vacuum-advance-for-better-drivability/

Idle is a special case really. Idle is the most difficult time for an engine. strangled to within an inch of not running at all. Emissions aside, your air fuel ratio at idle is based on achieving the best idle possible, if this happens to be a tad rich (which it usually is) then so be it. 

i guess i wanted to just out to bed this idea that advance is related to fuel mixture ratio. its not, its related to the amount of fuel mixture in the cylinder.

in fact rich, can burn slower. take idle for example. we need the extra vacuum advance at idle because there isnt enough of anything to make a quick bang. its richer. not leaner.

Most vacuum advance discussions, including all my historic ones on this forum, link to that one guys article, who incorrectly states that lean mixtures burn slower. You know the article I'm talking about. it has been quoted many times on this forum.

anyway i intend to somehow setup a camera and get some video proof of idle advance and mixture when my i get back to aus and pick up my ridiculously expensive wideband o2 sensor and gauge.

why are the so expensive??? i thought maybe because of zirconium price, but the USGS lists prices over the last 5 years at a steady 1000 bucks a ton. if the entire weight of an o2 sensor was zirconium metal, 2.4 ounces would be 7 cents. 

but i belive platinum is also used. banjo how much u pay for urs?

Edited by rebuilder86