Tell me your static, initial, total and vacuumed timing

rebuilder86

interested in everyones timing specs for naturally aspirated relitively stock 4k timing setups.

please list,

a. distributor type and number of advance diaphragms,

b. carburettor, 

c. static (engine off) timing

d. initial timing and rpm (idle with all vacuum disconnected and plugged)

e. if u have it,  vacuumed timing and rpm (idle speed should be a bit higher than previous test)

f. and finally, if u are able to give an idea of where your maximum no load timing is at... lets say, 4500 rpm with vacuum.

( u can see this by reving and holding at 4.5k rpm and waiting for MP to equalize so the vacuum has enough to pull the diaphragm)

I have no access to a dyno or o2 readings, and really want to find out if i am at optimal timing throughout the rpm and manifold pressure range. Mostly for econony reasons, not so much performance, but the 2 kinda go hand in hand with a carb.

We have no good stats on this, and if no one can help, I'm going to have to make a bunch of heath robinson contraptions in my jeep for "on the fly" timing adjustment to feel for best power.

If we can get some good recommended stats, I think many people will benefit, not just me.

Banjo, altezza, and other enthusiasts, u guys probably have these written on postit notes on ur computer monitors right? :)

Members dont see this ad

Hi Jeremy,

I have no access to a dyno or o2 readings, and really want to find out if i am at optimal timing throughout the rpm and manifold pressure range. Mostly for econony reasons, not so much performance, but the 2 kinda go hand in hand with a carb.

You might want to look at something like this, if you've got a good flat straight road nearby.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/ttdyno/

Cheers Banjo

eeeehh looks like money i don't have haha. I'm thinking id be better off going for an O2 sensor seeings I'm all about economy rather than performance so i ordered one to be delivered back in perth. bloody 250 bucks.

it will be fun trying to make a threaded hole for it somewhere in the manifold.