Ke70 4age vs 3sge (Beams)

RouteBeer

Ok here we go another idiot asking about ke70 engine conversions ahah.

I've looked around for the last few weeks on engine conversions I can do to my ke70, I've decided to keep it in the Toyota family and highly prefer an NA engine. 
From the moment I got my car (around 6 months ago) the plan was for a 4age swap but the more I look into it I'm not sure if there is enough power compared to something like a 3sge (Beams). My 4k is currently chucking a hissy fit with me so I think the swap might be a lot closer than I think. 

In terms of experience I've never done an engine swap but I think I should be fine in terms of technical knowledge, the closest I've come to was rebuilding a 50cc scooter engine and reinstalling it. 
My 'planned' budget was meant to be around 3k but I could stretch to 4-5 if it's really going to be worth it. Looking around it seems as though I can pick up a RWD 4age for around 1.5k including the transmission leaving me with 1.5 to fill in the blanks.  They seem to be making around 110-130hp which for the weight of the car seems like it could be fun but I'm scared the novelty will ware off and ill be looking for more power but struggling to find any. I've got a friend with an mx5 making around 160-170 and that seems perfect so I've been looking at maybe getting the Beams engine, the only problem there is the price, the cheapest I can find is around 3k and thats not including everything else i need. My main question is, Is the beams engine over rated for it's price?

Being honest here It's going to mostly be a daily however I would love to take it to the track and drift events 1-2 times a year. 

What would you guys suggest? Is the Beams just a waste of time considering it costs almost double and I'm sure would be harder to install, or should i just fork out and enjoy that raw power that is a 3sge.

Cheers for your time

Members dont see this ad

Beams is awesome but you are at the 4age level with your experience and budget.  Keep the Beams goal for another day.

Budget is pretty thin IMO, you will spend twice that to install and maintain a 4age engine.  Especially if you aren't a guy with a welder and fabrication skills yet.

16v 4age are all old now, you'd be hard pressed to find one that didn't need work to freshen up, and you could even say the same about 20 valves now, with the last ones being made well over a decade ago.

Beams would be ten grand when done, easily.  There are gearbox length issues to overcome, tunnel sizing, mounts, fuel system.  Brakes unless you want to die.  Easy 10k DIY, or 25k at a shop.

SO the 4age, if you can find a motor and box for cheap, Id try to use carbs on it.  Fuck efi, just use an ecu for timing and disconnect the rest.  A simple Weber or some solex carbs and tune it.  No need for fuel system, sell off the efi bits for the 4age that people want and then you can probably hit your budget.  You can use the standard ae71 mounts and crossmember and pedals. 

600 - ae71 parts

1500 motor and box

1000 carby and jets

800 - Exhaust, Radiator, hoses, fans, wires, clips and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

500 Programmable ignition

Bit over your budget but you would get to sell a few bits off the rwd 4age like the inlet manifold -$220, the Map sensor - $40, the injectors - $40, the engine wiring loom - $200 if you were going use carbs and not efi.

The beauty of the carb system is that you dont have to rip out the tank and fit an afi fuel system, which is one of the most un enjoyable bits and a costly exercise.

• Upvote 1

If you had an ae71 manual car to take bits from and you use the electronics and vee belt system from the 4ac on the 4age you can do the conversion in a weekend, then you just have to jet and tune it, and have an exhaust fitted, which can be done if you have the patience to read a manual and ask the right questions, there's even a document called the 4age bible that gives a comprehensive guide to all things 4age performance.