Intake/Exhaust Manifold Torque Settings?

MrTougéTka

Alright I've installed the new gasket, holy jesus it pulls now! No clicking from the spark plugs or anything. 

Might need a new tune and time again tho, it still dies coming up to intersections in neutral. Also bogs a bit when you go to take off, after that it mangs like no tomorrow

Members dont see this ad

bugger it .

can u just plug up the pcv pipe (in place of the pcv valve) temporarily and see if that fixes your engine dying issue.

also, ive had 2 bolts come completely loose on manifold, both at the rear, and didnt notice anything. wasnt until i was doing my weekly lurk around the enngine bay that i saw the threads and laughed. Then i tightened them up as hard as i could with my fingers bent around down past the carburettor on a std size ratchet handle. I clearlu remember when i rebuilt the thing,  torquing them up to spec but it still came loose. i have the one piece gasket so the one piece gasket as pictured must shrink after multiple heat cycles. that suggests to me they need to be retorqued after a few thousand kms.

Edited by rebuilder86

On 23/11/2017 at 11:48 AM, altezzaclub said:

""it still dies coming up to intersections in neutral. Also bogs a bit when you go to take off, ""

Lean probably, idle circuit not up to it.  Do the tune, and see if idle speed/mixture helps.

Tappet gaps, plug gap, points gap, timing..  if you've done it all then its a distinct problem to chase.

I'll redo the timing, sounds a bit tappy/pingy under load. I changed the manifold gasket and it improved quite a bit,. But is still present.

Brought a new fuel pump, new plugs, coil and leads installed. alsio have the carb apart as we speak getting a good cleanse! Plus a fresh rebuild kit! 

I'll get back to you with the end result.

On 23/11/2017 at 11:48 AM, altezzaclub said:

""it still dies coming up to intersections in neutral. Also bogs a bit when you go to take off, ""

Lean probably, idle circuit not up to it.  Do the tune, and see if idle speed/mixture helps.

Tappet gaps, plug gap, points gap, timing..  if you've done it all then its a distinct problem to chase.

I've played with the mixture/idle screws constantly since this started. It goes the best once you reset the mixture screw to 1 1/2 turns back from the screw being fully seated/screwed in.

which carb have u got?

ig its the one with a vacuum diaphragm controlled secondary throat, and the external hot idle compensator with hoses running to it, then the stock mixture setting is actually 2.25 turns. 

if u have this one (its most popular) and u are getting a better idle leaning it in to 1.5 turns then id say u have a spark leakage problem.

On 26/11/2017 at 3:42 PM, rebuilder86 said:

which carb have u got?

ig its the one with a vacuum diaphragm controlled secondary throat, and the external hot idle compensator with hoses running to it, then the stock mixture setting is actually 2.25 turns. 

if u have this one (its most popular) and u are getting a better idle leaning it in to 1.5 turns then id say u have a spark leakage problem.

I've got just the standard twin choke aisan single down draught mate, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to all this. But I'm learning quickly.

Hey is there any tips on refitting a new mechanical fuel pump? 

I've got the spacer , but I feel it Doesn't want to line up/slot in right when I go to install it.

yeh mate look for thommo thompson in perth picture of me holding my baby boy.

as for fuel pump. i don't know i havent mucked with them. I'm all for electric pumps! 

as for carby, there arr 2 variants of the twin choke standard. one vacuum diaphragm operated secondary, and one suction gravity operated.

need to know which u have before suggesting a factory idle mixture setting.

Edited by rebuilder86

13 minutes ago, rebuilder86 said:

yeh mate look for thommo thompson in perth picture of me holding my baby boy.

as for fuel pump. i don't know i havent mucked with them. I'm all for electric pumps! 

as for carby, there arr 2 variants of the twin choke standard. one vacuum diaphragm operated secondary, and one suction gravity operated.

need to know which u have before suggesting a factory idle mixture setting.

I'm pretty sure its the gravity suction version. Because there wasn't an external vaccum diaphragm?