Sign in to follow this  
rebuilder86

found machine shop, where to find pistons

My 4k atm has same logo and a 3 between 3 and 4. Not sure what the number means, could just be a casting run number.

Going by you're comp readings it either half f'ed or low comp to begin with. I know you got it as an unknown engine. So may i ask how consistent is the fuel there? Maybe previous owner slapped in dish pistons or a flat top piston head so it didn't rattle itself to pieces. 

Members dont see this ad

yeh its half feked.

it started at 150 psi after i reringed it 2 years ago.

which is apparently pretty good. but i suspect maybe my gauge is just wrong now. its a 60 dollar repco job and its about 12 years old amd its been used a lot.. ive always owned broken or failing cars haha.

id say the builders of the car assembled the engine out of whatever was at arms reach.

Yes the petrol available in this country is questionable at the best of times.

I don't trust any of the ron numbers here. everything has 10% bioethanol in it by law, except one "racing 100 ron" which is exempt because its considered a performance fuel. but i found out that it is the equivalent of australias 98 RON.

everything here is just an overexaturated lie, from fuel quality, to free range eggs, to distilled water and genuine or oem automotive parts. /end rant

so ive had to take the bitch apart due to coolant in the oil. :(

its been a little bit milky in the cap for a while now but i put it down to high humidiy (tropics) and shit quality oil as it would clear itself up after a long drive.

but this morning i looked under the cap and it was a vomit fest:(

the head apears to be quite warped to my eye, using a flat edge on the side of the road it appeared to be about 0.5mm proud on the ends.

but i thought id post a pic of my horrifically missmatched head and pistons as a warning to those who may make this mistake like the person who build this thing did.

also, i found some dents and protrusions that look like someyhing bounced around in cylinder 2 and did some damage before being ejected out the exhaust. see the damage.

i believe these are actually 4kE pistons, according to a post on this forum, but someoneay clarify. nonetheless i feel the dish plus tge large capacity in the head are not meant to go together.

Edited by rebuilder86

that's the wrong head for that bottom end, with a shallow chambered head will make it run better, 

cheers!

yep, next year I am going to try putting a 5k head on it. 5ks had dished pistons and u can still buy brand new 5k heads from china for about 300 bucks delivered thanks to aliexpress.

banjo has informed me it may be a problem due to pushrod length, but I am hoping to resolve that with a bit of cuting, welding and lash adjustment haha. 

Edited by rebuilder86