Cranksft pulley bolt

Big G

OK so what I thought would be a simple task is turning out yo not be. I have to change out the crankshaft pulley on the Princess' ke55 for the last part of the AC installation. But for the life of me i can't remember how we used to stop the pulley turning when cracking the bolt. In my head I thought just put it in gear. Its an auto. I need to get this sorted in a hurry coz theres not much worse than a hot and sweaty teen rolla Princess.

Members dont see this ad

start the car with the socket and breaker on the nut and the handle on the ground.

I'm serious. the starter motor is pretty powerful and coupled with its leverage on the flywheel can give more torque than your arms.

if ur in a hurry it will work.

if not that, then stuff some insulated electrical wire down the spark plug holes in 2 and 3 and short sharp blows to the breaker bar with a rubber mallet.

Edited by rebuilder86

Hi Graeme,

Always harder when the engine is the car.  When it is out of the car, you can always jam or lock the flywheel.

I swift hit with a mallet has always worked for me, but it needs support of the extension shaft with the socket on it, at the opposite end to the socket.

The starter motor option, does apparently work, as there are several utube vids showing this.  Haven't tried it myself.

Certainly would not be risking Jeremy's second suggestion jamming pistons 2 & 3.

Worst case, you might have to remove the radiator, to give yourself some more room.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

hahah banjo, stuffing cylinders 2 and 3 haha

its not that simple no, u need to make sure the valves are closed. my bad

thats just how i do it most of the time with FWD cars. cbf getting to the flywheel. I use the technique on Fwd vehicles where i can't use the starter motor and breaker technique.
U just have to make sure its well stuffed and full of rope or wire, or else ull be putting the pressure down into the crankshaft and main bearings instead of off the the side for its leverage moment. does that make sense?

As a matter of fact i did thanks. But not until i whipped up this handy bit of gear. It took me about a half an hour make and no time at all to get the bolt off. Only to find my harmonic balancer puller missing from the shed. So i have one on order coz that bastard Mr Nobody has borrowed it and moved interstate. I was thinking of putting a patent on my little gizmo but I'm sure it exists out in the world. And I know it works in both directions.

20171205_161633.jpg

20171205_161753.jpg

• Upvote 1