Electronic Distributor

Big G

Members dont see this ad

Good luck Pete !   Silicon Chip don't usually tell you what they have got in the pipeline, until the month before.

The only thing that would be a welcome upgrade would be a PC interface, so you could set the programmable  ignition up, without the hand controller.

That said, once you get the advance curve right, the controller is not needed again, unless you want to use it as a real-time readout.  With the knock sensor and it's ability to retard at first sign of detonation, you can really give it a fair amount of advance, & then note the operational points, where the knock sensor activates, & then back off the map in that area. 

I read an article by Julian Edgar, (whom I believe was involved with John Clark at Silicon Chip, in the original design of this project) about using a simple acoustic pickup with amplifier & headphones to pick up the onset of detonation. Julian has always advocated that the two best tools for tuning a car on the road is the acoustic detonation device, & a O2 sensor with dash readout.  His articles on AutoSpeed are always a good read.

Cheers Banjo

Hi Graeme,           

If RobRoy can't help, or their solution involves hacking your existing dizzy too much, another alternative is to get another DENSO 3K dizzy, & fit the Accuspark to it.

I've got a really good 3K dizzy you can have, if needs be, like the one pictured earlier in this thread.  The 3K dizzy is a lot smaller than the Bosch dizzies, so is really neat.

Cheers Banjo

Hey Banjo  thanks for the offer I will see what Steve comes back with and let you know how I go. I went to Underwood Jaycar yesterday as it was the only local store that had any in stock when I got there the stock they had was 1 and someone had reserved it. They do have a new improved model at $55. So when I get the dizzy organised I will look into the ignition further. I don't want it to get bigger than ben hur.

I honestly wouldn’t bother with that other jaycar kit for princesses car. Just go with the points replacement, and as Banjo says, a nippondenso distributor as a direct replacement is always an easy option rather than modifying or customising something to fit the Bosch dizzy.