AE92 4AGE fuel pump fuse location

BoostBoy

I usually use locking grips on anything like this, clamp em on frikn tight, and put firm pressure on the end with your hands, and tap firmly the middle of he locking grips with a hammer. doing it that way seems to get it off first try. Brake lines, clutch lines, fuel lines and aircon.
Bascally, what ive found is, sharp blows seem to work with o problems, whereas continuous torque force from leverage just destroys the hex head. but when that happens, u still have locking grips as an option.

Edited by rebuilder86

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad
On 09/02/2018 at 2:10 PM, rebuilder86 said:

I usually use locking grips on anything like this, clamp em on frikn tight, and put firm pressure on the end with your hands, and tap firmly the middle of he locking grips with a hammer. doing it that way seems to get it off first try. Brake lines, clutch lines, fuel lines and aircon.
Bascally, what ive found is, sharp blows seem to work with o problems, whereas continuous torque force from leverage just destroys the hex head. but when that happens, u still have locking grips as an option.

That sounds like you need 3 hands, but I'm sure I'm misunderstanding what you said :)

Anyway, just a short update. Had a mechanic mate come over tonight and we tried and tried, but that bolt just wouldn't budge. He said he's never seen that before. He even used an ice spray to break the rust, locking grips as you suggested, you name it.

Turns out he was able to get everything else off and slide the tank out, then that gave him access to the other end of the fucked line, and he un-did that bolt with no problems. Now that the tank is out, I have much more room to try and get the other bolt off. I'll just keep trying until eventually it either comes off or it breaks off. Either way I have to replace that line now and hopefully the metal fuel line it attaches to isn't stuffed.

The other thing he suggested was to replace the whole fuel tank. Does anyone know where I can get a new fuel tank from that will fit the Corolla? And out of interest an approximate price?

Hmm Dave hasn’t had his coffee this morning. 

But yes, you will have to trawl the wrecking yards or look out for the possibility someone is breaking one via the various forums. 

Realistically, these cars are getting pretty old now and getting harder to find in yards. Price will depend on whether it’s some bloke breaking a car in their backyard, a pickapart wrecker, or a Toyota specific yard selling gold plated tanks. Make sure you get the pump and sender included. 

Actually I had a quick look on the picker wrecker sites in Melb and there are a few AE92’s about. Can’t remember if all AE92’s are EFI however. 

Most pickies have a website with stock listings and even photos of the cars, and price lists these days. Not sure where you are, but in Melbourne we have pickapart, imlachs, jolly’s and Harvey’s. All of them do this. 

I'm at work on a saturday,  in lismore, in the rain, in a sewerage treatment plant. and yes, no coffee:(

Maybe the solution is to go and get a coffee. 

It sounds like you are just having trouble undoing a fuel hose? Thats not a good enough reason to get a new fuel tank. time to get it undone using any method possible. repair it and use your old tank:)

2 hours ago, ke70dave said:

Try Aldi.

Haha wouldn't that be great...pop in and get whatever part you need.

2 hours ago, ke70dave said:

It sounds like you are just having trouble undoing a fuel hose? Thats not a good enough reason to get a new fuel tank. time to get it undone using any method possible. repair it and use your old tank:)

No it isn't, but I got the fuel tank out last night with a friend. That pesky fuel hose is still attached to the fuel line, but we got the other end off attached to the tank. I have to replace the fuel hose because I busted the other end.

A quick inspection of the tank shows there's a little rust inside, that is why my friend said I should look at maybe getting a new one, but I don't think he knows how hard that is. I don't really see the point of getting another 29 year-old tank that has been sitting outside in a wrecking yard. I think it would make more sense to try and restore mine...or maybe I just leave it! I'm not sure how bad it has to be before it's replaced. I can take photos...

As you alude to i think most fuel tanks sitting in a yard are going to be rusty too.

My mate recently gave life to a 46yr old VERY rusty civic tank with this stuff. I saw the final product and i would highly recommend it. 

http://www.ppcco.com.au/por19.html

Not cheap, and i dunno where he bought it from but damn it is a good product.

Edited by ke70dave
  • Upvote 1

Dude that is awesome. I'd very much like to give that a go. It looks like I can order directly from that website, but as you say it's not very cheap. However a new tank would probably be more than that. I'll hunt around though...thanks heaps

Edit: This looks like the same thing and is available from Autobarn:

http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/product/auto-fuel-tank-sealer-kit/

https://www.autobarn.com.au/kbs-workgear-repair-kit-fuel-tank-di07156-5140

Edited by BoostBoy

Okay so I've pretty much given up trying to take that damaged pressure fitting to the line off, which means I'm now left with 2 options:

1. Replace the whole metal fuel line

2. Cut the damaged end off and put a new fitting on

I'm inclined to replace the whole fuel line, however if someone here can tell me if there is an easy way to repair the end, then I would consider doing that. So far my research shows that I would need special tools to crimp the end and apply a pressure fitting, etc etc. Tools I don't have. But I have seen some repair kits...just not sure what to look for exactly.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by BoostBoy

33 minutes ago, ke70dave said:

Got a photo of what you are dealing with?

Drain the tank, take it to a hydraulics shop. They will either get it off and fix it up or cut and braze on a new fitting:)

Yeah mate, see page 2 of this thread.

Unfortunately the line is connected to the hard line of the vehicle not the fuel tank. Tank is already off. If the fitting wasn't damaged I could just do what I need to do and put the tank back on, but my luck is not that great.