SA63 with 4S-FE

LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad

Yep, just deleted the fan mount thing, the big steel idler, bracket and belt that just added nothing except drag to the engine.  Seems quieter without that rusty old thing spinning.  Coming to terms with S motor design where the water pump is concealed and works off the timing belt. 

Fiddle tps around got more power/smoother rev up.  Test drove with more torque, and spins one.  No lucky LSD for me.

I need seats for this vehicle, the stock seats are truly fucked.  Anyone reading this wrecking a car with a pair of seats I can get cheap?

Had a close look at the front water pipe, and someone has cut the end off it and pointed it upwards, which is why I cant find anything in the epc about it being that shape.

Exhaust mani bolts were all loose as fuck.  Tightened.

Might pull the inlet off it and have a good look and a clean under and all around it.  Or I might not.  Next priority I think needs to be a cooling fan and maybe simply a radiator change.

Had a look at epc last night and worked out that the map sensor needs to be hooked to the filter thing on the side of the manifold, I guess they used mechanical filtering on early efi and not electronic filtering in the ecu.  Runs way better now, especially when you jump on it.  Might try and get fault codes off of it today.

What ya reckon medicine Man?

Just got my new thermostat housing in the mail.  Its just like the one on it except it has got a sensor thread that will let me install the thermofan controller when it comes.  Also means I can return the one from repco that was overpriced as all hell.  Fuck Repco.  They just let you down over and over again.  Since my mates dont work there any more its really hard to take.

So keen to see this running sweet as possible.  I really want to drive it in anger.

Put the kyb dirt rally shocks in, they are an inch shorter max extension and about 20mm shorter full compression, so should match the full set of pedders springs fine that the car has, which are a mild lowering spring.

Also need seats real bad!  something better than the completely flogged out originals, but cheap too hopefully.

Might put a better steering wheel in it too, the same as the sprinter has for consistency and because I have a new spare one here.

Would like a cheap set of mags for this too.  Maybe gravel rally rims.

Probably should freshen up the brakes too I guess.

Every conversation with repco goes like this:

me: hi I'd like to buy a thing
Repco: your thing needs to be ordered in, we dont carry many things on the shelf any more, i will ring you back with a price once i have asked 10 people how to use the "system"
Repco: Hi the price of your thing is twice as much as you can get it elsewhere, and it will take 3 days to get here.
me: why would i get the thing through you when i can order from the internet and it will take the same or less time and be half as much? and it will come to my house rather than me having to come to your shop.
Repco: Sorry i cant do any better
me:  ok bye. 

• Like 1

Interesting playing with this today.

Its ecu is from an st170 corona front wheel drive 4sfe car.  According to EPC it should have a different Map sensor.  Since it runs with this map sensor plugged in from the 4sfe sx80 I'm not too concerned at this point to change that until the ignition is fresh  It has the correct TPS, and water temp sender for this ecu.  It should, however have an IAT sensor connected and there is the plug there but no sensor, that likely settles what that mystery 2 wire plug dangling from the loom is by the tps and idle controller at least, and provides another avenue for improved running.  Its the generic black plastic one IAT, I will throw one in and hopefully the thing runs even better. 

Stripped the sagged roof lining, the remaining old wiring from gauges and anything else that was broken or in the way of fixing the bits I want to fix.  Garbage pile is growing.  Vacuumed out the thing.  I swear its been underwater by the sediment in it.  Might pressure wash later today.

Following on from the earlier post.  The sx80 coil is the same in the st170.  So is the fuel injector and the throttle body gasket, which is common to all xSFE engines.

Put IAT sensor from the sprinter in, didn't change much, maybe even ran better with out it.  Might need time to learn.  Or it might be slightly different.

Pressure washed the back seat, boot, and underneath it, plus the engine bay.

Will fit intake, throttle body and exhaust manifold gaskets soon and see how that improves things.  I suspect a faint vac leak.

After de-greasing I've run it for a fair while and it doesn't seem to be leaking oil in any area. 

Found ae92 sx spoiler at a house Im renovating that had to be cleaned out.

Baby keeps growing.

20180114_095801.jpg

20180114_084528.jpg

20180114_084543.jpg

20180111_184338.jpg

20180114_103029.jpg

20180109_105041.jpg

Removed rear water fitting and found a second barb that was corroded away underneath that someone had tie wired on to make it stay put.  Its now been replaced with a nipple.  All the rubber hose is getting swapped out as is the thermostat and cover.  Would love a new radiator but will see how it goes making this thing run as sweet as possible first.  The new thermostat tested well.

Have received fan switch/sensor so will try and get it back together tomorrow.  I think my blue rtv is off and it wont set properly.  Have to check tomorrow.

Flushed a bunch more corrosion out of the remaining fittings and pipes, seems pretty clean inside the motor from what I can tell.

Ordered a 5 dollar water temp sender from amazon to test out.  Seems you can buy genuine for 55 or china for 5.  On this car 5 is the number.

Ordered new lower rad hose from Amazon as well.

Bit bullet and got a new aisin water pump assembly for under 100 delivered again from AMAZON.

Off to wreckers today to try and find some other bits from an st170 or 190 4s corona.  I think ABC has one at Oxley.

Also want to change Throttle body gasket so need to find one of those.

Would love a radiator too but dont want to pay for one.

So far the car owes me not a lot.

I think I'm about $1550 into the whole project.