Bellhousing question

ZEROPILOT

I recently began rebuilding the T50 transmission (AE86 Corolla) in my 1981 Starlet. It has a left hand starter motor and a right hand throw out arm. Normal.

My donor transmission is also a T50 and is identical except that it has a bellhousing also with the starter on the left.....But with the throw out ALSO on the left. Just below the starter.

My engine is a 4AGE. Was the donor car a 3A or 4A. (I never saw the car that this tranny came from)

Is this "left handed" bellhousing unusual or sought after?

Members dont see this ad

Thanks. I found four trashed T50s and they all had the clutch fork on the passenger side (right) like mine. Different side of the car here?:)

The nice transmission that I'm using parts from is the only one I found with the fork on the left. Drivers side in America.

I should've clarified that I'm in Florida U.S.A.

Edited by ZEROPILOT

I should have woken up to that!  In Australia bells with the clutch fork on the opposite side to the starter are relatively rare as they only came here with later imports of engines/transmissions by parts importers.  We never got rear wheel drive 4AGE engined cars sold here. So all our bells have the clutch line running close to the exhaust.