Kebin

{Blacked Out}

To match the black paint I had the windows tinted by All Style Automotive in Seven Hills. I had 5% limo style tint done all round and 17% on the drivers window and passenger window so I could still sort of see out at night time.

-1FyacTJoFVqeG6E88wF_CVwvB_Silo-BnSo40U0

oaPeSrKJY5kVXeEKmGfU2dgMlsixIHTQomBNGb_L

Edited by Kebin

Members dont see this ad

{Throw Sum D’z On Dat Bitch}

Finding wheels to suit the shape of my wagon was difficult in two ways. 1. There are a lot of shit looking wheels out there and 2. All the good looking wheels only come in a 5 stud pattern. (ae95 being 4x100)
I found 5 spoke design wheels to suit the shape of the car best. I researched new styles of wheels that I didn’t mind and got a friend to photoshop them on. I found out later that the wheels I chose only came 5 stud L

Ended up settling for some Tempe Tyre specials:

DUQ_Nr-FqzROIg5XE6FnE6RaK2OhvldEjPEFZEyV

K9-3u4oIbEl9_i-Rd4EtSwkAfVNB_asmPkleSl2u

VtN9dMVNcFJGsZXH6fKwT5qX8cJw3B4Uh0U1hcQc

8pYwlsvs3ZoMJpkuOwypURChGNHqSfVl_cPyuvNG

ok ok i know many have been waiting for this.....

{Pop, Lock, and Drop It}

Next up was Suspension. Since my wagon is technically a 4wd, I might as well try to use it somehow, You know have the best of both worlds and stuff.
Height adjustable suspension is where its at these days being more affordable to the average car enthusiast…..Not me though after searching and searching for a suitable height adjustable coilover the end result was nothing available. To custom build a height adjustable suspension setup would cost way too much and I might as well fit air suspension….. So I did :p
I emailed all the airbag businesses around Sydney and the only shop that was helpful was Tuck Shop Customs in Seven Hills. They were able to explain and answer all my questions and were all too happy to help. 
I chose to go with a FBSS setup using ½” airlines. The wagon runs a live axle diff in the rear and shock/struts in the front. Fitting the airbags required multiple modifications to the existing suspension.
The rear diff required both the bump stops and spring perches cut out. The bottom perch wasn’t flat so a flat plate had to be welded to the diff where the original perch was so the airbags could be bolted to the diff. 

pLD4UUDOn51EVPqv8cz7O8U27iRkO90IsKV76sYd

The bump stops also had to be drilled and cut out as they were the wrong shape. A spacer was made up so that the top of the airbags could be mounted without fouling on the body above the diff.

Luppa0twtRgW6K5k0fZ2ZnsrlsgF27aidWmOfWk3

Uymr7F-8alBanaeg_-Dvi7FRaG0fQQLuB-41nwLe

The front suspension required complete struts to be made up. They come as a pair in a “build it” kit and they incorporates a 9-way adjustable shock absorber.

fAr17ogIpk2gs0eQ3okuB-euC1rdZNS4efOqSPcB

4ZpQNDMTSKgHVXwRkWDozTqyGjNAHqNs1I2hvNHH

INKSklbJmCcOZIEyHFwg-CnVvY1nPQj4kx-eeBY4

Cont.

After some adjustments while up on the hoist, we were able to determine the lowest point the suspension could sit without causing “too” much damage.

Gl8nc5rMgoJamIXyPJ_yBo8a9vh0B0nI7ib4lPu9

eafP7Y-j9sVNUHLwJ5GUR5mb1ANWKBuotoQ2Xej0

6ztwi9OmMYO0QTE-e_8wfXrX3Ly5gRYM3UofthI4

After Tuckshop was finished modifying the suspension I brought the wagon home for me to finish off the plumbing and electrical… pretty much the rest of the job. They plumbed up the airbags and filled them with air so I could drive home.

SXqdxbXGpEJ-ntmwnjmuhmBxV8nnrZKNlQmWAGas

Most kits come with a single 5 gallon tank but I wanted to keep my boot space so I sourced a couple of smaller 10L steel tanks. Between them they added up to just over 5 gallons. I first had them acid dipped to clean them up. I then had to weld stands onto the tanks to mount them where I wanted them in the rear foot wells. 

B09T9OqlYKCV898UckKE0hEqGT29p1w0t8YOIlGu

SMGdXcOrlV52702U8HdZvSirouRsz-oQWOtIuNju

I spent a week designing and installing the rest of the setup in the wagon. I tried to hide as much as possible as I could so I wouldn’t lose the cargo area in the rear. I’m running twin viair 480c compressors and mounted them inside the side walls of the boot to tuck them out of the way.

YVtSWg_L1_96Mab0FTMcjJZrQDiLDPOQhYKNgcLM

XbgW_r09Lw6VFqnyzmSnX82TMIOmtSYoKsuP-scH

Cont.

Mounting the valves for each corner was the next mission. For the rear valves I tucked them under the car beside the fuel tank. The airlines come up through rubber grommets in the floor and continue to the airbags and air tanks. To mount them I had to drop the fuel tank.

7olpBJLa5v578O7FqcaxAOp0aDIv2KEBbfuac9ul

The front valves were a little more trickier to fit. I mounted them behind the front bumper in front of the tires. The fittings I got were identical so I couldn’t make a left and right side set so I had to make do with what I got.

qGitDSS7LyqmlfcT98ghCbVoBAhs8dO5glzXsDaI

Wiring up the interior:
EgVi85mX0wHC6jK__4N963AbFxGChwHZZmUJT-ri

jb68y8AUJF55K6O8e5eFIQrSd97pN2wppJ0QCCKX

Cont.

I was able to tuck all the electrical and air fittings under the the front of the back seat in between the frames.  Surprisingly the back seat base fits over everything snugly. 

YVtSWg_L1_96Mab0FTMcjJZrQDiLDPOQhYKNgcLM

Next thing to do was test the air compressors and the pressure switch making sure they cut out when the tanks filled up. Initially all was good until the compressors cut out and all the air leaks could be heard. Another hour spent re-tightening all air fittings and checking for leaks. Finally it was time to test the system.

VXqXxzJd542MLVY9nYYZ0kudelYjJt1CiQZThNf0

yvTYvIurOB0PjEfii-_easK86y6aGo2LV4m3zGPc

pBtZHVopmfgO96lVukjOXxZEtn3p1sLvNk92WcEQ

I was surprised at how quick the car moves up and down. I had a feeling the sway bars would resist the airbag force but the bushes must be worn or something. Now all to do was fit the interior back in.
Video:
[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/EB7CtaeyTSJOcGSi1[/video]

[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/MBDE78fK7VnXKQCv1[/video]

And there you have it.... Height adjustable suspension at the flick of a switch.

Edited by Kebin

A couple more random pics from the Air Suspension build:
The wrenchman…. couldnt of done it without him :)
piWeSvReI6CeiRAItN_Ud7NzBUgdqRuiP-C1Qpoi

Some guard rolling:
IMqcdhzLlSQESiQiZV-nxgEud0KlAe52asoJQbQo
T7nPGuCEqchAWXREHnc-JhiR88S9RHp2KJZUmRMl

For everyone that kept telling me to lower it… is that low enough? ;)
lQPMdw7rq2ZkZzyYmEWtiW-JBjz7gZdOILJdtbw4
L3309PY40XuA5LAs0MfmiwvP0b_QzglwrEuLtGzx

Wheel alignment:
46Co3xohi9rBA-CggPkkIDi7AhUEZ-Vx2esZ-5lh

Its been over two years since the last update. Not much has happened, i have put the wagon into storage while i sidetracked and concentrated on other things/cars. 
Recently i picked up a 3sgte manual box from Ichiban in Moorebank. They reckon its from an ST185 GT4.
To my surprise when i compared the 3sgte box against my spare ae95 box, there was so many similarities that its not funny! Even brackets/mounts appear to interchange.
 Heres my ST185 VS. AE95 pics:
Fu3yMgSAzMCXhLoCMDj0ie5Hh2em1ESbU2UU8JMb

With the ae95 vacuum difflock attached:
521MsGrmoIq4uAlZHjvtNuz-i6VnotY6zqbhKJAU

Without:
jFauE1hBme9EXMnViBCHDefyHaNc867zkrXnBu2G

CouG0_6zaKJKNXdI_8_7Wmm0WdY37TNNkIBcWsTH

st185 transfer case:
gWayVIkbiid9yGdUr2W_OJnSlM9HY_a9QW604jAv

ae95 transfer case:
QbNsnlj_oKpVctvs870ucCQ238ELrJ6lhOcRv-YX

ae95 gearbox mount:
hZisnEBn9GVKFhj2dWI5HcoUqJcZYC7saSdxtyhi

st185 gearbox mount:
AKYoXbNiHUPp0h4ohkeRsprZGZabIqMp-mvfP6pU

ae95 speedo drive and gearshift cable bracket:
zZpFZaLT0A9ckcuvrOOt10MnSa8RNhPTBAVtxgea

st185 speedo drive and gearshift cable bracket, note the electric speedo drive attachment:
h0L6Rsvc-R5HQsex91ZQuIa9OfzGUm-6FbW6qLhd

Edited by Kebin

I'm not up to much on mine atm as i concentrate on other cars/house etc. So far just collected parts namely an ST215 Caldina 3sgte front cut and an ST185 5 speed :D
I have however done some research over the past year and found this guy over in W.A. has dropped an st185 engine into his ae95 and i have managed to track down some pics for you guys.
EdFQL8Ix6D6_1YIA9xFvvy2UUJzC0vLpGlEfJnE9
yfJJB2vbTQOKRP-teAd4rhhpdiCvJU9VS_P5eexB

Found some E series gearbox info on MWP's gt4 website. Some good information on the pdf.