Auto to Manual Swap Info

Morning @ All

I am a huge Toyo fan and own a '84 DLX Pickup already. Looking at picking up a '79 Rolla Wagon. I think I am correct that these are considered the KE70 models. It has the lil 3-speed auto in it at the moment. If purchased, I will def be rebuilding the 3TC at some point to bump up the compression to make a nice lil street scooter out of it. Although I love automatics... I know from the lil 4speed auto in my DLX that they are rather anemic. 

If I want to convert to a 4-speed/5-speed... what type of trannys and donor vehicles would I be on the lookout for. I am not opposed to a good lil 4-speed as I drive alot of backroads with the occasional highways trips, so a 5-speed is not essential for my driving habits.

Many thanks in advance. I really, really want a 70's Celica, but alas... they are so hard to find and very pricey compared to the Corolla. I am a HUGE wagon fan anyhow, so this lil vehicle will fit my style jus fine.

Brown_Rolla.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Hi Nate,

A KE70 looks like a tissue box, very square, that is likely a ke55.  If it has a T motor it would actually be a TE5x or a TE3x.  Im not big on pre ke70 but its one of those, being a 79 its likely a xE5x. 

If its a T motor, you will need to find a way to use a hydraulic master and slave cylinder system to put a hydraulic clutch into it, usually you would just find a manual one and do it by stealing and installing the bits, but these days it might be easier to fabricate a system that works depending on how many rusted out manuals you can find to steal bits from.

It would likely use aT50 gearbox, and this would be the early type, so an ae86 or ae71 T50 would not suit, you would be looking for one from behind a T motor like from a T18 (TE71) TE72 (a ke 70 with a t engine from stock), another might be a TA22 celica.  Reason being they changed the splines on the output so you might find the tailshafts dont fit if you mix and match parts from later models with a tailshaft that will fit your car.

I say pop the hood, work out what you are dealing with, and read our FAQ section (wiki).

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Thank you sir. Not real familiar with the numbering system and which was which year. Found a Wiki that said '79 was a E70. This one musta been right before that designation kicked in. I am asking the seller for a VIN so I can determine exact specs. Plan on going to check it out first of next week and it is about 100 miles away, so I have not seen it in person yet.

Edited by Natedawg63