Ls1 into ke36 wagon diff ??

Ls1rolla

Hi there everyone

I need some information on some diff upgrades for the ke36 wagons. I about to start installing an ls1 and 4l60e auto into the wagon and the car will soley be a competition car (burnouts drag racing etc)

Ive had a thought of using a shortened hilux diff but no idea what type of hilux diff. Ideally i want to do as little diff modding as possible as it tends to cost quite a bit. 

I'm new to the forum and any help, tips or ideas will be generously appreciated.

Members dont see this ad

Greetigs, and welcome. 

Have a bit of a look around at some of the highpowered builds.

the issue with the ke36 is the leaf springs and the width. If you are going to be heavily abusing the diff you really do not have much choice but to pick a chunky diff that will take the least amount of modifications to make work in your car, but the reality is a ke36 is ~40yrs old. Anything you wannna put in there is going to be a complete custom job.

You also need to look into what you are going to do about the centre. An open differential is not going to be very fun with an LS1. 

Possible options include: 

- R31 skyline - comes with disc brakes - there is an oem LSD but its shit - you can buy a KAAZ LSD to suit ($$$)

-YR22 Torago - smaller than a hilux diff, comes wiith Drums but disc brake conversion is somewhat documented, LSD from an Altezza fits. OEM available and aftermarket options

-the great honking hilux diff - A monster. various LSD options around that i cannot recall. 

- Some volvos back in teh day have a differential that ive seen used before that has an LSD option. i cannot recall details on this either.

You will also need a custom tailshaft to suit (~$500 for a 1 piece)

Shortening, modification and sorting out the differential centre of any differential is going to be costly. 

Hi guys thank you for the tips

The thought of buying a pree shortened 9 inch has crossed my mind a few times yes.

And as far as centres go whatever it will end up being it will either have a mini spool or full spool.

And also being the fact it will be a burnout/drag car rear brake arent really on the list at all

Looks as though either way i look its going to be quite the costly custom modification