Need help with a starlet

scottsteele

Ok, I've ran into another issue I could use advice on.  The valve train seemed to be tapping pretty loud so I was going to adjust the valves.  I found a bad lifter, so I have one on order.  Here's my dilemma.  What's the proper adjustment procedure.  I found this here....

https://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/K_Series/Valve_Clearances

But I have also found the factory Toyota shop manuals that has helped me with other issues.  It says something totally different when referencing my engine.

https://workshop-manuals.com/toyota/starlet/l4-1290cc_4ke/engine_cooling_and_exhaust/engine/cylinder_head_assembly/valve_clearance/system_information/specifications/page_428/

My engine is the 4ke, factory 1983 Toyota Starlet with hydraulic lifters.  Thanks for any advice.  This is currently my last project before putting her on the road.  The last thing I want to do is damage something because I'm having problems finding parts.

Members dont see this ad

Follow the manual for that one-  Your hydraulic tappets run with a zero clearance, while our 4Ks run with 10-12thou on followers.

In my first car with hydraulics you pushed the pushrod down slowly with a big screwdriver to empty the hydraulic tappet, then set the gap to 75thou. Once you started it up it rattled like crazy for a few seconds as it pumped the tappets full of oil, then you never had to set them again.

The order in setting tappets varies from person to person, I can think of three different ways of doing it, but I'd stick with the manual's system there.