The "Beige hornet" boat project.

kickn5k

Because I'm a man toy addict I bought this little beige peach.

Problems: 

Seized steering cable(fixed, I'll get to that).

Bilge pump and Cd/radio didn't work(fixed I'll get to that too).

Motor doesn't pump water(half way through fixing that).

Need minor repairs to the seats.

Not really a fishing boat(what i wanted) I'll set it up a bit more and I should have something I can freshwater fish with and have something me and the guys can have a wakeboard behind.

Pros:

It was a f@$&ing steal and the hull and trailer are perfect. 

Screenshot_20180326-222721.png

Members dont see this ad

So getting back to fixing the issues.

Steering cable: when i bought the boat the steering was locked solid. So I removed the cable from the wheel at the front and then from the motor, steering wheel turned nice and the outboard was swinging so the cable must be seized.  The boat hadn't been used for about 3 years and the grease at the outboard end had solidified locking the shaft end of the cable. So I cut a coke bottle off, taped it to the sheath of the cable, filled it with the strongest de-greaser i had and left it overnight. In the morning a few taps with a rubber mallet one way and slide hammer the other had it moving. Left it to dry then used the same method to oil it, I also appled some fresh marine grease on the shaft end. Now works perfectly and saved me $150 for a new custom length cable.

20180330_131721.jpg

Edited by kickn5k
More info

• 3 weeks later...

A little boat would be great to have for fishing at the inlet. I know the original owner of my KE15 used to tow a dingy about with it. 

One day maybe, because it is a damn long walk around to the mouth

On 5/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, parrot said:

A little boat would be great to have for fishing at the inlet. I know the original owner of my KE15 used to tow a dingy about with it. 

One day maybe, because it is a damn long walk around to the mouth

A tinny/dingy was what I was looking for at first. That's the reason I got this thing, transport to our camping/fishing spot at Lake Eilden. One 17ft half cab was just not enough with 4 blokes, camping gear and alcohol. 

• 3 months later...

This thing has been fun, for the $1600 investment. I'd just finished the water pump and cooling system fix, fixed the seats and general finish off a couple dayd before we headed out, on our annual fishing/camping week long trip to lake Eildon(over mid year schol hols). With no time to float/test everything, we decided that we'd take a punt and take it anyway, another mate has a 19ft half cab and could tow me if needed.

It dead set didn't miss a beat all week, started first kick every morning I went out trolling, which is saying something for a 39yr old outboard considering morning temps were below 3deg every day. It trolls great for a 115hp ski boat, I do have to use a render bucket I transformed into a "sea anchor" to slow it down a little at idle. But it got me to camp and more importantly was christened with three trout. I got two browns at 42 and 47cm and a mate nabbed a chunky 45cm rainbow.IMG_20180713_141606_557.thumb.jpg.70f371b32e6f6d6c37cb6db13176e294.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=69b2c82a94c3a245IMG_20180713_141226_772.thumb.jpg.542ac7e55e8deb20314044341ded8664.jpg

Edited by kickn5k

• 8 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, graydreams said:

Nice boat! Is it still around? 

Yeah mate, still around. Only used twice but owes me f'all so I don't really mind.

I have fitted a new CD player and a safety chain to trailer.