AE112r oil, 10w30 or 10w40

j311yf1sh

Hi,

Looking at doing a service on my '98 AE112r 7afe engine, and i was wondering what oil would be recommended for a engine that's run 100,000km's only. The manual say's from factory it was 10w30, But as its getting older i was thinking of going up to 10w40(Also there's a special on currently for Oil+injectory cleaner for 30$). I have noticed no engine oil usage, drop or burning oil, it runs fairly smooth for its age.

I was looking at the castrol magnatec, and a ryco filter. Spark plugs should be fine.

All help appreciated,

Cheers jf

Members dont see this ad

Don't over think it. whatever the manual says grade wise, and whatever brand name oil is on special at the time. and change it every 6000ish km. 

For years i bought penrite oil. for no other reason than Dad always bought Penrite oil. And he bought Penrite cause his dad bought penrite oil. 

Then one day i bought shell or something cheap (but something brand name ish, around the $30 mark, not $60 penrite). And my engine didn't explode. So i kept buying the cheap oil. Years later, no engine explosions and plenty of spare cash.

Edited by ke70dave
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for all the help guys. 

I have decided to go with 10w40, there is no major leaks, but I do find oil having dripped down the engine, nothing on the ground though. 

If I experience any problems I will switch to 30 at the next service. 

Cheers jf

10W40 is fine for a 7A, I've run mine with anything from 10W30 all the way up to 20W60.  10W or 15W40 is probably the sweet spot for affordability vs modern thin oil, 10W30 just seems like a waste for what is essentially a 25yo engine design (the 7A is essentially unchanged from when it was first introduced in 1993).

Edited by Hiro Protagonist