Bonnet Bracing

Big G

Hey Rollaphites

So I was helping the Princess give her hardtop a bath. When I got to the bonnet I noticed it was popping up and down as I washed over it. Upon popping the bonnet and having a look underneath I discovered that the adhesive that bonds the bonnet bracing to the sheet metal has given up and gone home. It is across probably half of the bonnet.  So my question is what can i use to bond them back together and any ideas on how to secure them in place while it sets. Thanks in advance. ..

G

Members dont see this ad

yah happend on my old corolla too. 

I never bothered but if i was gonna do it id probably look at sikaflex as a solution. The real black shitty stuff that WILL get everywhere. (not cheap "silicon" from bunnings)

I think youd want to be careful forcing the two together cause you might end up with a slight dent in the bonnet. 

That was my concern changing the shape of the bonnet. I use that sikaflex at work. I might have a practice run pushing it down before committing to sticking it. It was nearly dark last night when i found it. See how I go in the harshness of the daylight.

I've done it to all of them with silicon or no-more-nails, its stops them rattling so much & makes them much stronger.

I put it on the lawn upside down, glue it up and put bricks here & there on the frame.

The only disaster was the rally car one that the cows walked on overnight!

Next day it had been disturbed, and when we picked it up a damm cow had walked all over it, crushing the frame and adding an extra few inches of bend in the bonnet across the car!

Of all the things I've ever read in Rollaclub posts, this one always makes me "chuckle", as it creates such a beautiful picture in my "warped" mind, with Altezzaclub's dry humour.

That classic was posted 4 years ago, in May 2014.

Here's another one !Cows.thumb.JPG.469739ac57f4fc3528aec08956785420.JPG

Never stop them coming Keith !  They make my day.

P.S. I'm a bit like Dave; and have never bothered rejoining the bracing to the back of the bonnet.  Might throw a bit of liquid nails in there.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I am hoping to get the chance to fix this on the week end. I will make sure all the animals at my place are locked away safe and sound. i got a giggle out of the cows trampling the bonnet. Those animals have no boundaries.

google Ashland Chemical, for your nearest distributor. They make a 2 part structural adhesive that is designed for that application.

It is relatively quick setting. Can be applied in any position, will only take about 15 to 20 minute before it's useable. davew7 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip.  I had a quick look at Ashland's website.  Wow, they make a lot of stuff.  What was the trade name of the product you are suggesting ?  There is one there called "Pliogrip", that sounds like it may be the product you are suggesting.

Cheers Banjo