Unknown Front Struts in Ka67 Wagon

MrTougéTka

I decided to replace my front shockies due to a major leak which caused a failed warrant of fitness.

So i ripped into bnt and ordered a full set thinking all would be all cool.... Backs went in piece of piss... But to cut a long story short the front struts were completely different to the ones that i ordered.

Apparently the ones i ordered were factory Carina inserts, but they have no seat for the spring?! Surely i shouldn't have to weld one on?

so I'm guessing somebody along the line has converted the fronts to ke70 struts maybe?!

I'll attach the struts in comparison and the list the part numbers. 

Because both struts have different part #

Any help on the part numbers would be ideal! Please and thank you(:

IMG_20180513_132833.jpg

Members dont see this ad

You're confusing me with shocks and struts..

So, the original toyota shocks would have been a wet shock inside the strut. That is a twin-tube system with the strut full of oil.

The shock you bought is a sealed unit that needs to go inside the strut to replace the original wet shock.

You should pull the big nut off over a container with the shock in the vice like you have and catch all the old oil. Collect the wet shock and put it aside, and clean the strut out.

Put your new shock in the strut, fill it with oil to an inch below the top or so & screw that big nut back on.

Keep the wet shock as you can rebuild and revalve them for fun if you can find seals for them.  That's how you adjust your own shocks, whereas the sealed units you can't do anything about.

If you open the strut and find a sealed shock inside you know somone has changed them in the past.

21 minutes ago, altezzaclub said:

You're confusing me with shocks and struts..

So, the original toyota shocks would have been a wet shock inside the strut. That is a twin-tube system with the strut full of oil.

The shock you bought is a sealed unit that needs to go inside the strut to replace the original wet shock.

You should pull the big nut off over a container with the shock in the vice like you have and catch all the old oil. Collect the wet shock and put it aside, and clean the strut out.

Put your new shock in the strut, fill it with oil to an inch below the top or so & screw that big nut back on.

Keep the wet shock as you can rebuild and revalve them for fun if you can find seals for them.  That's how you adjust your own shocks, whereas the sealed units you can't do anything about.

If you open the strut and find a sealed shock inside you know somone has changed them in the past.

Sounds like a bit of fluffing around, what struts are compatible with Carinas? 86'? Ke70? Etc Really after a quick fix as i need the part ASAP to get it road legal. 

Man buys shocks.  Man gets told precisely how to change shocks.  Man decides the work to change shocks the simplest and only way is 'fluffing' around.  Man needs instant gratification. Man wants a quicker way that the actual simplest way to complete the task.  Man needs to follow instructions.  Man needs to realise it takes about 4 extra minutes of work from the state of things in the above photo to complete the job.  Man should enjoy the benefit of new shocks sometime in the next ten to twelve minutes if he can find a big pipe wrench and the will to do it.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, LittleRedSpirit said:

Man buys shocks.  Man gets told precisely how to change shocks.  Man decides the work to change shocks the simplest and only way is 'fluffing' around.  Man needs instant gratification. Man wants a quicker way that the actual simplest way to complete the task.  Man needs to follow instructions.  Man needs to realise it takes about 4 extra minutes of work from the state of things in the above photo to complete the job.  Man should enjoy the benefit of new shocks sometime in the next ten to twelve minutes if he can find a big pipe wrench and the will to do it.

Thats cracked me up, sorry the cars been pissing me off lately lmao

• Like 1

I understand the concept now, you literally pull guts out of the shock! Had a yarn to a local guy at Toyota and he enlightened me on the subject and he reckoned ae92 inserts to go with the ke70 strut! Apparently his mate used to own the sack a couple years back. Small world lmao 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, parrot said:

Once you get the top nut off your macpherson strut, it is extremely simple. Get on with it and you will quickly see

I've never taken apart shock absorbers before! I may sound like a twat, but i was only looking for an easy way out because i need it legal, but i understand the theory behind changing the inserts etc now. Quite amazed how much modification and variation you can come up with! 

Edited by MrTougéTka

An owner of this car along the lines has swapped out the factory suspension for ke70" struts ".. So all I'd need to do is buy some ae92 ones and swap the inserts? Apparently I'll need a spacer in the bottom of the strut body to make it compatible? Correct? Just taking a guys word from Toyota here.