Unknown Front Struts in Ka67 Wagon

MrTougéTka

If the struts are ke70 Id be bummed, they have the incorrect kpi and they also have a smaller brake.  Using the DBA catalogue you should be able to identify the struts by the rotor thats on the hub.  KE70 and xA6X have vastly different brakes.  Vented and larger diameter on the A chassis as compared to solid and smaller diameter on the ke70.  Not to mention the bigger wheel bearing in the celica/carina hub and the different sized master cylinder needed to suit the ke brakes properly.

Members dont see this ad
11 hours ago, LittleRedSpirit said:

Man buys shocks.  Man gets told precisely how to change shocks.  Man decides the work to change shocks the simplest and only way is 'fluffing' around.  Man needs instant gratification. Man wants a quicker way that the actual simplest way to complete the task.  Man needs to follow instructions.  Man needs to realise it takes about 4 extra minutes of work from the state of things in the above photo to complete the job.  Man should enjoy the benefit of new shocks sometime in the next ten to twelve minutes if he can find a big pipe wrench and the will to do it.

However, a man’s got to know his limitations. Or so someone once said. 

You might want to look into things a bit more. The idea with AE92 inserts is shorter stroke, but needs to be done in conjunction with lowered springs and everything that goes along with that. Otherwise you will just limit your damper travel until you wreck the inserts. Go with what you have got now, and consider where you want to go with the car in the future. 

3 minutes ago, LittleRedSpirit said:

Have a look on the strut for a part number it should be ten digits and if you can find it I can probably look up the part.

This is all it has on there. The guy at Toyota was definitely certain they were ke70, his mate lowered the car previously 

IMG_20180513_124758.jpg

5 minutes ago, parrot said:

However, a man’s got to know his limitations. Or so someone once said. 

You might want to look into things a bit more. The idea with AE92 inserts is shorter stroke, but needs to be done in conjunction with lowered springs and everything that goes along with that. Otherwise you will just limit your damper travel until you wreck the inserts. Go with what you have got now, and consider where you want to go with the car in the future. 

Its got super low springs in it atm, but i mainly want a stiffer ride along with lower ride height. But nothing too serious, won't be seeing a track anytime soon lmao

Yeah they look like ke70 brakes at a glance.  Measure them up and see.  I have corrections to what I stated above about xa6x brakes.

I did some snooping in the catalogue regarding the stock stuff on a ka67.  5k is a nice stock engine.  You have an odd setup from the factory on that car, its a solid rotor not vented like I said above, its a more basic brake package so you aren't missing out by having ke70 brakes to any great extent.  Nothing we have here in AUS matches up to it, all the cars that feature the same brakes and hub are Japan or Euro delivered vehicles.  Even the bearing is the same as the corolla ke70 or sprinter platform.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

"Apparently I'll need a spacer in the bottom of the strut body to make it compatible?"

maybe...  when you do the strut nut up on the new shock it should clamp down on the shock body & hold it in the strut tightly.  If the shock can move up and down a little then yes, you need some sort of spacer under it in the strut. 

Just measure how much play there is with the nut done up, then find a couple of big washers or whatever you need to match the play plus a few mm.  Let us know if there is any play in it and how much.

Update! 

Hey sorry for all my confusion, this insert game has been all new to me! I appreciate everyone who has added their 2 cents. Wether it be roasting me or not, i thank you. Lmao

I've found working on these old skool cars to be quite challenging at times due to my lack of knowledge, but saying that I've learnt quite a fair bit during the process! Its been an awesome yet frustrating experience so far lol But Nothing beats working on your own sack of junk and turning it into something sick(; 

But in saying that..... The ae92 struts are in... the super lows slapped shut with thy top hat.... and the mighty blue turd will be off for its recheck tomorrow! 

• Upvote 1

Alright so idk what ive done wrong with the installation, but the strut now clunks slightly. Got it rechecked and failed again on the "shock not being installed properly" for god sakes. 

It wasn't even that bad. Really minor play. 

But anyways i ripped it apart again and ended up insulator taping the shock body and spacer so it is now one whole unit and sat inside the strut body bloody snug. 

Thought I had it sussed then i rattled the top hat down till it was freakin tight and it improved but the clunking sound is still present. 

Had a look at the top hat and the bearing looked a bit shagged? 

7 hours ago, parrot said:

I reckon the insert is loose in the strut tube. If you are going to put a shorter cartridge in, you have to either space it up or down appropriately or there is nothing to stop it moving about

It was really loose last time i put it in. I reckon the spacer just needs to be at leasg 3-4mm longer. The tape around the body defiantly helped 

Try the nut without the shock in and note how far it screws in.  Then put the shock in and try it, and the nut should be maybe 4mm above where it was without a strut in there.

Then you know you're clamping down the shock onto the bottom of the strut + spacer.