Ignition coil wiring

Members dont see this ad

What does or doesn't it do??

Do you get 12V at the coil with the key on?  12V when you're cranking?

Do you get 12V at the points when the key is on and the points open?

If you have a short where the wire goes into the dizzy or at the points the coil won't work.

Ign circuit.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hey Guys this is how I have my ignition coil setup, but now by looking at the diagram I feel like my wiring is wrong on the ignition coil, but the car still starts, drives, and runs fine.

ignitioncoillabelled.thumb.jpg.d80ace1ac21a9c862c0ea4be040beca3.jpg

As you can see the red wires (not sure what they are can someone let me know) are connected to -ve should that not be connected to +ve, also my distributor wire that connects from the outside of the dizzy which is connected to the contact point and condenser is connected to +ve should that not be connected to -ve, I do not know what the  brown wire is but that is connected to +ve.

Well, if the positive coil terminal is on the left of the photo, they are the wrong way around. They will run with the polarity reversed, but I hear it wears the spark plugs out strangely as the spark is jumping the wrong way.

Run it for 6months and let us know...

Ah- brown wire is probably tacho, that runs off the same side as the black. Other option would be a capacitor to stop spark noise in the AM radio, but it would be just beside the coil.

Edited by altezzaclub

Guess what I think you are right altezzaclub, I span the coil around so +ve is now on the right side and -ve is on the left side, cranked my car up and she fired so I had my wires on the coil wrong and I checked my old Lucas coil and +ve was on the right and -ve on the left I must of not realized that the Bosch GT40R had different positioning or I wanted to have the logo facing up and maybe forgot to switch the wires in the correct wiring , I am an absolute donkey, maybe now when I go back to reinstall my electronic module kit it will actually fire the engine this time.