boingk

Boingk's KE20

Minor progress, I replaced the points and condenser, as well as cleaned all the individual contact surfaces. Bit of a fiddly job but well worth it - she starts easily now.

Next job is to properly drain and flush the tank.

- boingk

Members dont see this ad

Today I got stuck into the fuel system. The stock pump is working fine so it is staying, but the rubber line and filter before it were horrible. I replaced them with a clear filter and new line, much better now and you can see the condition of the filter as well.

Before I connected the new line and filter to the pump I ran all the old fuel out with a small electric pump, then put 10L of fresh fuel into the tank and used the same pump to draw it through. There was only about 6 litres or so in the old tank but it was pretty brown and off-looking. I'll see if it runs in the lawnmower (it runs pretty much anything) and failing that I'll take it out to the chemical disposal site at the local dump.

With the new hose and filter connected and fresh fuel in the tank she runs nicely. All up a successful day.

16.jpg

Looking good mate. Ever feel like the more you do to the car, the more you find that needs doing? It will be worth it in the end! 

A big steam clean under the skin!  I'm trying to think of who would do it, apart from the companies that are meant to clean vehicles being imported.

We have a 4000psi water blaster but its still not enough for decades of gease and oil, you need temperature to really do it.

Into that engine bay and then up on a hoist, do it once and its done for years.  It looks so much better now than when you picked it up.

12 hours ago, (Monk) said:

Looking good mate. Ever feel like the more you do to the car, the more you find that needs doing? It will be worth it in the end! 

Thanks mate, and yeah the more you do the more you find. With anything this old I'm pretty well prepared though, hence my entire take-apart of the electrical system to clean ALL the contacts. She's getting close to driveable so the end of the tunnel is definitely in sight! 

34 minutes ago, altezzaclub said:

A big steam clean under the skin!  I'm trying to think of who would do it, apart from the companies that are meant to clean vehicles being imported.

We have a 4000psi water blaster but its still not enough for decades of gease and oil, you need temperature to really do it.

Into that engine bay and then up on a hoist, do it once and its done for years.  It looks so much better now than when you picked it up.

Cheers, she sure was awful (especially inside) when I got her. I couldn't let her rot away out at the scrap merchants, so here we are. The plan for the engine bay is to get stuck into it with a pail of boiling water, toothbrush and kitchen scrubber. If that doesn't tidy it up I don't know what will. I'd pressure wash it but don't want to undo all my hard work on the electrical system!

The last bit of work I did yesterday was trying to replace the water pump. It didn't go well - the pump I got sent was the extended spindle type, so I had to lower the drive on it. Then I found that the drive was a different pattern and spindle size to the pulley I have... come on! I've got a new pump and pulley on the way to cover me, fingers crossed.

- boingk

Thanks mate, no pictures for now but I did replace the water pump with one from a wreck someone pointed out to me. It was another KE20 that has been abandoned under a tree and is missing windows, wheels, interior and pretty much anything not made of steel. Sure enough, the water pump was still there and after a quick clean-up with a soft wire wheel it went on just fine. While I was at it I replaced the thermostat - I tested the old one in boiling water and it seemed okay but may as well be sure.

Also, I made a milestone - I drove it! I figured seeing as most of the big stuff was done I may as well see how she drove, so took her down the back lane and back up again. No real issues there, everything seems pretty normal and I'd say the 53,000km on the dash is legitimate as the suspension and transmission feel pretty good. The tyre and wheel combo scrub slightly up front at full lock but no problems otherwise.

So, looks like I have the brakes to fix and and I'm off for rego, woo-hoo!

Pictures to follow after I get the engine bay cleaned up.

- boingk 

More milestones - working brakes!

I fitted a new brake master cylinder, which wasn't without hassle as I had to replace the line insert with the one from my old unit as the thread was different on the new setup. Pro tip, you need a solid vice and a large wrench to break the seal on that insert! Bleeding brakes wasn't such a hassle and everything is now working fine, although I need new rear bleed nipples as the old ones are pretty worn and fragile.

After that I gave her a wash 'n' wax, cleaned the engine bay (a bit) and vacuumed out the interior again. She's ready for rego now, no issues at all. A quick test-drive in the back lane saw that she's running nicely and tracking true under brakes, too.

More as it happens.

1.jpg

2.jpg