Auto to manual ke 55

Hi all , 

I seem to have posted in the wrong section I have a ke55 auto that I recently tried to convert to manual but as you probably guessed the crossmember doesn’t line up . What can I do that’s not going to cost me a fortune. Can you buy pre fabricated cross members or do I need a ke 70 gearbox or something? Any hep would be great , really don’t want to put the auto back in

Members dont see this ad
3 minutes ago, Hermes 1979 said:

Hi all , 

I seem to have posted in the wrong section I have a ke55 auto that I recently tried to convert to manual but as you probably guessed the crossmember doesn’t line up . What can I do that’s not going to cost me a fortune. Can you buy pre fabricated cross members or do I need a ke 70 gearbox or something? Any hep would be great , really don’t want to put the auto back in

I presume that you are trying to fit & install a 4 speed manual gearbox from a Rolla into your KE55 ? I also presume that your engine is a 4K donk. I also presume you are trying to use the cross member that the auto box was mounted with. This is a fairly straight forward mod, so not sure what the issue is. Some pics of non alignment, or more information is needed. Cheers Banjo

Hey 

Ye ists a 4k motor and I’ve put in a 4sp maunual . It was pretty straight forward up to this . I have the auto crossmember and the manual one . It seems either the crossmember in the mount on the gearbox is 150mm out . I,be taken pictures quickly but probably ain’t great . Hopefully you can make them out

F5A233B7-EB06-46F9-82F6-4B4A15E0B26E.jpeg

007291C8-C3C5-4F38-8AFF-06980D317E22.jpeg

D145153D-B257-43EA-94A0-36F871DF21E2.jpeg

I have a 2 speed auto box here, left over from when I converted my KE30 2 door sedan, to a 5 speed gearbox, from a KE70.

I'll pull all the gearboxes out tomorrow, & measure them more accurately.  I'll also take a pic, of my KE30 floor pan dual mounting points for the rear gearbox mount cross member.

Was the auto you pulled out a 2 or 3 speed ?  Have you done a pedal box conversion as yet ?

Cheers Banjo      

Edited by Banjo

Hi Hermes,

I pulled my gearboxes out of a heap today & lined them all up.

DSC00653.thumb.JPG.edf57aca096126d4a4dc27fe4e960bd4.JPG

They are all the exact same length from the front edge of the bell housing flange, to the rear universal protector end.  The 2 Speed auto bell housing is removable, & I have removed it for a rear engine mount on my engine test bed. That's why it looks a bit shorter.

smallDSC00644.thumb.jpg.e581b9d8a3f0023b426c67a70662af1d.jpg

smallDSC00649.thumb.jpg.fc66fc34dfa391efda6196a3b503e955.jpg

smallDSC00650.thumb.jpg.9b7c62fc322355d4b349f487cfc97649.jpg

Underneath the gearboxes, is a strip of aluminium on the floor, which lines up with centre of the rear gearbox mounting point, in all cases.

I know when I took out my 2 speed original auto box, & fitted the KE70 5 speed manual, I used the same tail shaft & the same mounting points.

So can't work out why yours is so far (15cm) out.

However, my  KE30 rear mounting points in the floor par are different to your pic.  you have two holes either side which are close together, & both used. My has two holes further apart, but only one used.  This allows the cross member to have to mounting points if necessary.

smallDSC00632.thumb.jpg.97121febda45fb732ad3cdbb6be469ba.jpg

smallDSC00633.thumb.jpg.adfbe4cffb84cbe312025881cbcecb95.jpg

smallDSC00638.thumb.jpg.6f30374e5c71fe4eb007dbdcaffbe220.jpg

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hey mate , 

the manual I put in cane with the car as a spare but it had k30 written on it in paint when I clean it but I thought ke30 and 55s had the same gearbox.I read somewhere recently they dropped the duel mounting in the ke55. Might have to get a new mount made . So thinking I might have to put the auto back in as I am Thinking of an engine conversion in a year or so will have to put a t50 gearbox in which i think you have to you have to cut the gearbox tunneling further to the rear or the car so don’t want to be cutting another hole further towards the front at the minute

Hi Hermes,

I'm really interested to get to the bottom of this, as with exception of having to cut the tunnel a bit for the gear stick, when a KE70 5 speed box is used, all the Corolla gearboxes whether manual or 2 speed auto, were a fairly easy changeover.  The biggest job is usually acquiring, & fitting the manual pedal box.

Where about are you located ?  Have you got any pics you can put up here of the auto gearbox, you have removed.  Was it a 2 or 3 speed auto ?  A picture of the car would be great also.

I've transposed 3K, 4K, & 5K engines with various gearbox combos, over the years, between KE3X & KE5X Rollas, & never had an issue. I think there maybe more than one tailshaft length used, but that was probably to cater for slightly different wheel base measurements, rather than different gearbox lengths. 

15cm is a big difference !  I can't imagine Toyota producing specific bodies to suit only auto, or only manual gearboxes, if they were to have different rear gearbox mounting points. 

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Hermes,

I did a bit of research on the net, & this thread on Rollaclub, from 2011, gives a lot of good info.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/49567-ke30-manual-conversion/?tab=comments#comment-508707

It appears that the conversion I did was the easy one, as it was a 2 speed auto.  I suspect the auto gearbox you removed was a 3 speed, as apparently, it is different.

Here is another comment I found on this site, that basically confirms your finding, that you will need to fabricate a new cross member, for the rear mount.

And being that your car is a KE55, the gearbox cross member bolt points will not be right for the manual, and you will need to move them on the body, or get a cross member made to suit.

If you are in Australia, you could have a Borg Warner diff fitted rather than a Jap imported one.  Be aware, these have different mounting flanges.

If I'd had an olde 3 speed auto box, I would have known this.  We live & learn.

Hope that assists.

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

Hi banjo 

Cheers for that mate I,d say it must have a borg Warner diff as I got brake shoes for it too and they seem to be too small but every place I look says there the ones for a ke55 . I might look into getting my hands on a ke70 manual 5sp and get a xmember made up . Now just to find a gearbox that won’t cost an arm and a leg

11F3B8A0-42C6-4F32-9829-DB13108121E3.jpeg

Hi Hermes,

Nice looking KE55 4 door you've acquired there. Looks very clean, & having been an auto all its life, probably hasn't been thrashed.

Very easy to identify whether your Rolla has the imported Jap diff, or the later Borg Warner.  The Jap diff has no access to the banjo from the rear.  The BW diff does have access from the rear, identified by a bunch of eight (8) bolt heads holding on the access/cover plate, around the perimeter.  I would think yours has the BW diff. The name plate on the firewall, in the engine bay, should give you the year of manufacture. Yours looks like it might be around 1979.

smallDSC00660.thumb.jpg.5058a513538a09525a7dbb2b1323fc08.jpg

Front of BW Diff

smallDSC00661.thumb.jpg.29a72fc207742d2c8b21254130842721.jpg

Rear of BW Diff

smallDSC00682.thumb.jpg.8c802b590c544f01ab2f21d4696a6e5c.jpg

Front View of imported Jap Diff.

smallDSC00663.thumb.jpg.5c2d9df4f720dd6530ee5f996947bb5b.jpg

Rear View of imported Jap Diff/Axle Case.

There were two sizes of brake drum fitted to the KE3X & KE5X Rollas.  The early ones had drums 200mm in dia.  The later 9" drums, are 229mm in dia.

Whip one off & measure it, then you'll know which one you've got. If the shoes you've been supplied are too small, then you must have the 9 inch drums.

smallDSC00662.thumb.jpg.ad2e3613ef9b48f074990a674d9a428f.jpg

9 Inch Drum on later model Rear Axle

Plentiful & available on line on ebay.

Where are you located ?  There might be someone close by on here, that can give you a hand locally.

Cheers   Banjo

Edited by Banjo