If I Only Knew Then...

Big G

I was cruising the gumtree adds late Saturday night when I came across a new listing for a one owner 1984 AE86 Levin Apex Trueno with 76ooo kms on the clock for $37k. She is totally stock and a thing of beauty. Now I am kicking myself for an opportunity I squandered in the late 80s when I was working at the import shop and the owner offered his smokin hot wife's AE86 to me for 4k he wanted to get rid of it quick coz she hated it coz it was too much of a chicks car for her. I only knew chicks that drove them in the day. I passed as I didn't have the cash and couldn't get past the chick car stigma. Oh the shame of it all. If I only knew then.....   

Members dont see this ad

yep-

5 years or so back I took The Girls KE70 up to Cairns to fix up a rental house & sell it. Walking out of the supermarket I found a beautiful AE86 parked near the KE, and while I was looking it over the owner came back. He was my age, 60-something, a farmer out of town, and had bought it new. Said it hardly got driven these days as he and his wife both had SUVs and the AE was too hard to get in and out of...

I'd only just got into Toyota and didn't attach any significance to AE86s, so never offered him the couple of grand he'd take for it!..

So... what should we be buying these days for 20years time??

Last month, I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room, whilst my daughter had her flu shot. I picked up a "Just Cars" sale magazine, which has a classic section in it.

There low & behold, was a KE55 4 door, stock as could be for $ 14,000.   Why you ask !   It had mileage of  4,700 klms thereon !

Yes they are out there, & there are those out there, who are willing to pay.   I missed out on a KE55  4 door once on ebay, down in Port Macquarie NSW.  It was one lady owner, & looked immaculate with low klms.  I wanted it, & put my bid in. There were a few other bidders, but I stayed ahead of the pack.  Right at the end of the auction (last 5 minutes) another bidder came on the scene.  I battled for several minutes as we outbid each other, only to get sniped in the last second, by my new rival.  I was devastated !  I made some enquiries, & found the mystery bidder was an international classic car buyer.  The KE55 was put in a container & went to a buyer in The Netherlands.  If you ever watch Custom Garage on 7 Mate, you will see that there are people out there, where money is no object.  There a couple of resto outfits here in Australia, who do amazing work, for high end clients with funds.

There is one resto company here in Brisbane, that I watched/followed a custom resto on the website, which was amazing. About a year later, I was at the Leyburn Sprints in September, & there at the Shannons Show & Shine, was this resto in the flesh.  It was absolutely beautiful.  One could almost say "Art" !

Cheers Banjo  

Edited by Banjo

Ae86s were somewhat affordable only 8-10yrs ago. I went and checked out an import Trueno notchback with all the things in about 2012. Lsd, rear discs, suspension, AC, 4age. And he wanted 11k complied and regod.  Dunno what someone would want for it now. Probably 25k  

Bought a ke11 for 700 with rego perfect interior. Sold it for $2500 which at the time was good. Now would be upwards of $7k..

Throughout the 90s and early 2000s were all worth nothing. So were used as speedway, paddock cars or crushed when metal value was higher than cars value. Now that there’s none of them left and you can’t find a good one easily or at all price just goes ^^^

I remember thinking $3k was steep for an ht wagon I looked at 5 years ago. Wouldn’t be worth less than $15k now..

Yeah, kicking myself over all of the ke20and 25's I got for less than $100, stripped and crushed. Gave away a Ke26 four door wagon for nothing that would been an easy rebuild, just needed a tail light. Only ever seen a handful of them since......

Even my old HZ ute. In family since new. Straight and rust free and unmolested. With original purchase receipts and less than 60k on it back in the 90's couldn't afford the fuel - $100+ per week just to get to work. Didn't even crack $3000 for it. 

I bought my ADM AE86 sometime in the early 90’s for I think $6000. Sounds a lot but they weren’t very old then!  It was clean and rust free except for the tail gate which was pretty ordinary. But a visit to EKW and $250 later I had a perfect JDM tailgate with spoiler!  Well looked after and it’s still immaculate other than a few bumps from sitting in the shed too long.  All these years later it is completely factory GT after importing many many parts, initially from the Jap wreckers when they couldn’t get rid of all the disc brake LSD rears and modified struts they were bringing in in container loads, the UK in pre internet days, and later on from Japan via import monster. 

Back in the mid late 80’s I could have bought a Nissan prince skyline GTB from my mate who had it sitting in his front yard for want of big end bearings. He didn’t want much for it, but I wasn’t exactly rolling in spare cash, and had nowhere to store it. The bloke who bought it broke it for parts. Was the original press car with a churn fill fuel tank for Bathurst. Wonder what that would be worth now.......

Despite owning 3 collectable cars, the whole values discussion actually quite annoys me. Mind you I have every intention of being buried with all of mine!

I sceptical how many of these cars actually sell, and that the Facebook scourge allows people to “advertise” their cars partially to big note themselves and otherwise try to talk up values.  I think the US scene is a hotbed for this sort of nonsense. 

I'm not convinced they sell either. 

We only ever see the advertised price, not the amount that was actually handed over.

In saying that i think buyers these days have alot of access to easy credit, so they are more able to buy these things for high prices.

When i finished uni i immediately got a 20k loan and bought the first S15 Silvia i found. I overpaid but i didn't lose any money cause 9 months later i sold it to a guy that over paid too:)

So... what should we be buying these days for 20 years time ??

image.png.4e75fa78a2851cb83fe438f1702065e1.png

Maybe an early electric car !

This picture was part of a story on electric motor conversions on older & classic cars, on the ABC website today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-24/make-your-own-electric-car/9918964

Does anyone know of a K Series Rolla anywhere that has had an electric motor substituted in place of it's 3K/4K unit ?

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

17 hours ago, parrot said:

Back in the mid late 80’s I could have bought a Nissan prince skyline GTB from my mate who had it sitting in his front yard for want of big end bearings. He didn’t want much for it, but I wasn’t exactly rolling in spare cash, and had nowhere to store it. The bloke who bought it broke it for parts. Was the original press car with a churn fill fuel tank for Bathurst. Wonder what that would be worth now.......

Prince skylines stagnated price wise about 8yr ago. 240k's and 1600's on the other hand have skyrocketed. I've got my 1600 for sale atm for $32k and it's had 4 offers in the first week. One was a zx12r bike motored s600 convertible that is stunning, a nice s14 and an 8sec vg30 turbo scorpion. I've had one cash offer of $23k which is a bit more than what it owes me but with so much interest I turned it down. 500hp 1600's sell for $28-35k. Hence it's for sale.

I think the other reason for the high prices is wifes/gfs telling the parter it's me or the car(happened to me twice thats why I'm single)

Edited by kickn5k

I think the other reason for the high prices is wifes/gfs telling the parter it's me or the car

Hi Stuart,

I was very lucky !  My wife's very first car was a KE30.  When I married her I inherited a/her Celica RA40, which we cruised all over Australia, until kids came along.

She currently has a late model Corolla, but strangely enough, when she goes shopping at the weekend, it's my KE30 that disappears from the driveway, for an hour or so.

P.S.  I keep telling, to check I'm not under it, when she hops in it.   (We have four Toyotas in our family)

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo