Battery Terminal

Big G

Ok so the Princess' ke55 has had some intermittent starting problems over the last short while. It takes very little to jump start it. I have looked high and low for something draining the system to no avail. Today I went to start her up so the Princess could go to work and she would barely turn over. So I jumped started her no problem. When I was connecting the leads to the battery I noticed that the positive terminal clamp was cracked and not as tight as it could be. My question is if it is slightly lose will that impair the charge ability of the alternater and then because it's lose it will make for hard starting. I need to get a new terminal clamp but the Princess likes original where possible. Is there a retailer out there that makes the original cable and clamps complete.

Edited by Big G
Typo

Members dont see this ad
3 hours ago, Big G said:

Ok so the Princess' ke55 has had some intermittent starting problems over the last short while. It takes very little to jump start it. I have looked high and low for something draining the system to no avail. Today I went to start her up so the Princess could go to work and she would barely turn over. So I jumped started her no problem. When I was connecting the leads to the battery I noticed that the positive terminal clamp was cracked and not as tight as it could be. My question is if it is slightly lose will that impair the charge ability of the alternater and then because it's lose it will make for hard starting. I need to get a new terminal clamp but the Princess likes original where possible. Is there a retailer out there that makes the original cable and clamps complete.

Not sure about charging but a loose (or tight but decaying) positive terminal 100% will give you intermittent starting problems, usually when it is cold as things shrink and the tiny bit of contact is lost.

Yeah I’d assume terminal, it’s what you’d replace before looking into it any further anyway..  I haven’t seen anywhere to buy clamps etc like that however don’t they run a rubber boot of the terminal/s in them anyway? I just use the sca ones. Never had an issue

Grab a vice-grip and when it cranks slowly just put the clamp on the lead terminal and see if it improves.

It will charge through a small contact as it charges slowly, but spinning a starter motor takes a few hundred amps and good connections.

-  or swap batteries with another car for a few days and see if it is better.  It may be a slowly dying battery.

Hi Graeme,

In situations like you have clearly described above, your best friend & tool, is your multi-meter.

Place the sharp probe tips into the centre of the posts of the battery, on a 20V DC range, & the reading should be around 12 volts.  Have your Princess start the car, & observe how far the battery voltage dips, during the starting process.  It should not get any lower that 9-10 volts.  If it falls that low, then you could have a low charge on the battery, or a battery on the way out.

However, if the voltage on the battery does not drop more than a volt or so,  but the starter, is grinding or slow, then the issue could well be voltage drops, anywhere between battery & start motor connections, of which there are several. Each battery terminal connection.  The battery -ve lead to the body.   Both ends of the earth strap between body & crankcase.  Last one is the +ve battery lead to the starter motor itself.

If you suspect the battery terminal connections, as you described, put the multi-meter on a lower range like 5v or 6V DC,  Put the +ve meter probe tip, on the very centre of the battery +ve post, & the -ve probe tip on the clamp on the lead for the positive terminal.  Have Princess start car again, & check that voltage does not rise over about a volt maximum.  Repeat the exercise with the negative battery terminal clamp, but reverse the multi-meter probes. (Place -ve probe on -ve battery post terminal). If you have any significant voltage drop between battery posts & respective clamps during starting, then time for a good clear of all contact surfaces, or new post clamps.

Always happens at this time of the year.

P.S.   I have a friend in Canada, who lives up on the permafrost where the ground freezes.  He drives his vehicle into his garage each night, & plugs the car's built-in crank case oil heater into the power point, so that he can start it the next morning.  Don't think it get that cooooold out Buccan way. 

Cheers Banjo