Banjo

Awesome Engine Upgrade

Saw this one on ebay tonight.  What an awesome engine swap for a KE Rolla.  My first thought was; What will Jordan say, when I ring,  & ask him to make me up a modified KE30 set of engine mounts ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rolls-Royce-Meteor-V12-Rebuilt-Engine-Similar-To-Rolls-Royce-Merlin-Engine/223025293766?hash=item33ed57e9c6&_sacat=0&_nkw=Meteor&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XMeteor.TRS0

Cheers Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Wow!

Might need a little bit of a suspension upgrade in the front, and some wider rear tyres! 

Edited by Wingsforwheels

Probably won't even need to touch the fire wall. I hear it even bolts in!

I'm not really sure what the market is for a Merlin engine but 16k doesn't seem that outrageous? There can't be many around?

If it was significantly less it would be tempting to clean it and put in the lounge room. Until the wife finds out.

Actually Dave, there was a Railton historic racing car at Leyburn Sprints last year with a V12 Meteor or Merlin V12 engine in it. Absolutely awesome.  Drinks so much juice, the owner was looking for a fuel company to sponsor him.

DSC00037small.jpg.9a731ed2fe4c28f95395e8d16ecd57c1.jpg

Might be there again this year.  Leyburn Sprints is on the weekend after next.  Best weekend of the year !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo
  • Upvote 1

If it was significantly less it would be tempting to clean it and put in the lounge room. Until the wife finds out.

Your wife would complain.  You'd have to remove the roof, to lower it into the lounge room, with a crane.

I'd have no hope.  I've got a nearly finished little 3K coffee table, with glass top in the garage, (ala Top Gear), & when said wife asked what it was, her words were, "It's not coming in my house !"  I thought I might have a chance with it, but knew hanging a few olde head gaskets on the wall, would be out of the question.

Cheers Banjo

IF it were a Merlin it would be more like $100k. 

The Meteor is the inbred, highly athsmatic, half cousin to the Merlin. It may look somewhat like it but only make a third of the power. They were for tanks and made a measly 400-450hp with 1600ft/lb. Still cheap at $16k for a piece of WW2 history. 

The president of the Nissan datsun car club is the head of maintenance at the point cook RAAF museum and I was lucky enough to see this being serviced. Interesting fact is you can buy almost everything brand new for a merlin from rousch performance in the states. Oh yeah a set of plugs will set you back $5k

20170722_102732.thumb.jpg.b66b922c9cafef26f5fe696447517d80.jpg

And yes I'm a huge WW2 nerd!!

Edited by kickn5k

Hi Stuart,

Awesome picture !   Lucky you !

The one for sale & the one in the Railton racer above, were both R R Meteors.

If you are interested, here is the history of the Railton Racer above.

http://www.leyburnmotorsprints.com.au/component/content/article/3-frontpage-/82-monster-tank-powered-special-to-debut-at-leyburn.html

Enjoy !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Banjo said:

Hi Stuart,

Awesome picture !   Lucky you !

The one for sale & the one in the Railton racer above, were both R R Meteors.

If you are interested, here is the history of the Railton Racer above.

http://www.leyburnmotorsprints.com.au/component/content/article/3-frontpage-/82-monster-tank-powered-special-to-debut-at-leyburn.html

Enjoy !

Cheers Banjo

Very interested and thank you. 

Yes very lucky, the general public is not usually allowed in the workshop. They had about 5(including the P51 motor) Merlins and 3 Allison's. Oh and that Mustang is actually airworthy too and still has the super rare self sealing fuel tank bladders. Those bladders are the only thing that they don't reproduce, yes with enough cash you can have a brand new P51 Mustang. I'll dig up more photos if you're interested?

Lol Graham Copeland owns the railton hey. Hey would just have a enough screws loose to pilot it too. Have you seen him drive the 260z in targa? They dominated the classic class for many years.

I’m a member at both the RAAF museum and the Australian National Aviation museum down at Moorabbin. Both are a great place to look around. The ANAM is great as you can get up close and personal with all the planes, and they have a particular interest in products of the Commonwealth Aircraft Factory. My dad was an engine fitter in the RAAF, and it’s a warm feeling being able to touch planes he personally worked on. 

Hi Pete,

Just love museums, & things mechanical.   My son lives & works in Canberra, & I get there fairly often. I note the Australian War Memorial, is going to be expanded greatly in the near future, & there will be a lot more equipment on display.

One of my business's clients, is the National Museum of Australia, who I get to visit a couple of times a year.  I am always amazed how much equipment they have stored in warehouses in & around Canberra, that has never seen the light of day. The people that restore stuff there, have an incredibly exciting job.

I have a friend locally, who hails originally from the UK.  He is into olde trains in a big way, & that "historic train" sector, is enormous & vibrant community.

Please don't get me started, or this will become the longest thread in Rollaclub history !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo