Leyburn Sprints 2018

Banjo

Another great Leyburn Sprints. Fantastic weekend, of great fun !

My very favourite was the 73 Rolla of John Tyson, immaculately prepared, & sporting a 5665 cc V8, somehow shoe-horned into into the engine bay, with great precision !

DSC00760small.thumb.jpg.46d3a2d21718b1e8490711c22feab453.jpg

DSC00759small.thumb.jpg.386fdae4964db4941bdcd34fd1dfbd79.jpg

DSC00761small.thumb.jpg.0afd00266a77720d602f0e177d8b4cb1.jpg

The Shannons Show n Shine was also excellent.  This was my standout of the classics. My guess at first sight from a distance, was a very early Alvis.  Turned out to be something much rarer.  Any guesses ?     https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1709/jaguar-ss1-review

DSC00763small.thumb.jpg.e24d27017831ea6ebc92b786f9dc463b.jpg

And how about this pit crew, who travelled & lived in style !  

small.thumb.jpg.f5d72a2c9bc7858186a28269396c2258.jpg

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

I’ve never understood the attraction of massive horsepower in a totally unsuited chassis with such a short wheelbase. Why wouldn’t you choose a more suitable chassis to start with, rather than engineer the thing within an inch of its life. 

don't get me wrong, I admire the execution and thought that goes into it. 

I really must get to Leyburn one day. 

The ke20 with a v8 in it was only 2 sec a lap quicker than the 3k ke20 there.

Yeah !   1.01 & 1.03.  The 3K was screaming. The V8 was hardly raising a sweat.  Surprisingly, the 5.665 ltr Rolla had amazing traction.  I don't think John Tyson could afford to break it, as I think he drove it to the meet, with wife.  The 3K KE20 came on a trailer me thinks.

I never get over the enthusiasm of some of these "old racers". One driver, (who was giving it everything on the track), that I was talking to in the pits, told me he was 80 years olde !

Results are now on the Leyburn Sprints website.

http://www.leyburnmotorsprints.com.au/

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Even still, the exchange of 4.4 litres for 2 seconds a lap is kinda disappointing.  I'm not saying it couldn't go better as is, but I am saying it could go better with a smaller engine with more driveable power.  Imagine the 3k traded for a 4age, it would be a real weapon on that course.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

• 7 months later...

Hi Johno,

Welcome aboard !

Have done a front suspension upgrade on my KE30 some years ago, using Celica RA65 struts, Cressida rotors & calipers, TechnoToy adjustable camber tops, & standard LCAs, with 22mm sway bar.  Can't help you with your little orange 1973 KE2X Corolla, but there is a current olde thread here under KE series, on just that subject, which has lots of references going back some years, & a lot of info from Toymods website.

I guess you are going to Leyburn again this year, on the 17th - 18th August.

I've been going to Leyburn for several years, & last year, a couple of us from Rollaclub, met up there.

There are a number of members on here, particularly in S.E. Qld, who keep saying, "I must get to Leyburn Sprints one day".

Well, here is your chance guys & gals.  I'll definitely be there for sure, & it would be great if a bunch of Rollaclub members got together there.

If you haven't been before, then I can assure you, it will be one of the best weekends you'll ever have, if you are into classic cars.

I took my wife the year before last, & she really enjoyed it !

I've put a couple of links below, where you can get all the info, & wet your appetite, with videos of previous years.

Express your interest, in this thread, & we can meet up at McDonalds/ South Toowoomba, at 6:00am on the Saturday morning, 18th.  After breakfast we can all run down together to Leyburn, to arrive there about 8:30am, in time for the first runs.  What fun !

Leyburn Sprints Website with Info

Leyburn Sprints 2017

Qld Weekender 2010

And here is what it like to be inside a car.  Yes I know it is a Nissan, but I could find one, from inside a Corolla. (because Corolla drivers are hanging on so tight, & too busy to make a video !)

Nissan Runs x 6

So if you are still not convinced, then Google, "Leyburn Sprints", & click on videos, & there is a tonne of stuff there, that will get you up & going.

There are always a few early Corollas there !

You can come up just for a day, or camp overnight Saturday, & see both days of racing.  

A lovely return trip to the Brisbane area, rather than coming down the range via Toowoomba, or Cunninghams gap, is cutting across to Clifton on the "Downs", & dropping off the range, & coming into the back of Gatton.  Lovely run in the late afternoon !

image.png.bd0b427185f7f086a60feb3e2b910c1d.png

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi John,

Did you manage to get all the info you needed, to fit R31 Struts into your KE20.  I'm sure there are others on this forum, with KE20/25s, that would be very interested.

I look forward to meeting you at Leyburn this year.

Cheers Banjo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johno,

Search "R31" on this forum, & you will find every mention of R31 struts.

Here is the thread I was referring to . . . . . .

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/11306-brake-upgrade-for-ke20/?tab=comments#comment-159824

The link to the original Bananaman post on Toymods website, appears to be broken or incorrect.

Go to the Toymods website, & register, & search Bananmans posts or search R31 struts.

Someone else on here might have copied Bananman's post & can add it to this thread.

I'll add links to any other references, I find.

https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/34997-strut-inclination-angles-info

You can do plenty of brake upgrades on the stock LCA and steering arm, using a variety of struts.

As i've said in many a thread, i'm using R31 struts, R32 280mm discs and 4 piston calipers, and an off the shelf caliper adapter. The option is there to use 296mm and 4 pots, or even the stock R31 250mm. You can even choose between 4 or 5 stud based on hub selection. I will be doing a full writeup on all this in the next couple of weeks if you're patient, mine are almost assembled. Bolts to stock lower control arm / steering arm.

Here is a link to all of Banaman's posts on Toymods. If you search through these, you'll probably find what you are looking for.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=showposts&id=3069&start=60&&start=0&count=60

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo