Help! T50 gearbox issue

Members dont see this ad

Hi Evan

Welcome to rolla club ,you will find that the t50 capacity is around 1.7 litres according to castrol and valvoline net lube.

I can't remember putting much more than that, if that much.

https://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/  https://www.datateck.com.au/lube/valv_auMS/

i guess its a rwd?

cheers rob

Edited by corollaart

A 4A type RWD T50 is 1.7 litres as Rob said.

A 2T type RWD T50 is 1.5 litres.

Where are you filling it from, the fill plug in the side of the box, or through the gearstick hole in the extension housing.  If the latter, you generally have to be pretty patient and let oil drain away before adding more.

• 1 year later...

If it were me I'd drain all the fluid by removing the lower drain plug , i think it takes a 17mm wrench to fit the drain plug . Remove the shifter from the tranny and the side filler plug whitch takes a 15/16 " or maybe a 22mm socket or wrench.

After all the fluid has drained be sure to install the drain plug !

Fill through the shifter hole slowly until you see fluid coming out of the check/ filler plug .

"the side filler plug whitch takes a 15/16 " or maybe a 22mm socket or wrench. "

That's the problem!  The skinny nut they used just rounded off, tucked up against the transmission tunnel & exhaust, and I've never got it loose since. So its drain plug and a measured amount through the gear-lever for me.

Okay your next step is to Heat the area around the plug area with a tourch , then strick the plug to shock it , then use a chisel and hammer striking on the plug to jar it loose . Remember the plug unscrews counterclockwise !

If you get that plug out discard it and replace with new one .

Hope this helps