MZEA12 Corolla hatch

Mechanical Sympathy

nice little write up. you should start a blog! It is pretty cool how much car you can get for so little money brand new.

13:1 is fairly insane. So it is a normal H pattern manual but it has that rev matching feature? can one turn that feature off to enable full potatoes race mode requiring accurate heal toeing?

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

Haha this is my blog!

Yeah 6 in a H with reverse at the top left and the rev matching is off by default. You have to turn it on each time.

I kinda wish it was the other way around because I reckon I'll wear the marking off the button eventually, but it's not configurable.

13:1, direct and port injected, laser etched pistons, 40% thermal efficiency means it uses less fuel than the Echo with more than double the power.

I'm really glad to get on while the engine tech is still new. Keeping a car for 10-15 years means I don't want to buy a driveline that's proven tech but about to be superseded otherwise the tech will be 20-30 years old by the time I'm ready to move on.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

Good write up

I'm a fan of the blue - it really fucks me off that manufacturers are not putting a $50 part in a car to push people to a $9000 increase and then don't offer major options like manual on the high spec cars.
Then again, I'm get pretty excited every time I pop the petrol flap open in the AE71 and don't have to pull the key out of the ignition like a pleb.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

An interesting issue has arisen. Toyota Australia is suffering through some kind of hack, and so all their servers/email etc. is down. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. The splash page on the phone app says they "don't believe my data has been compromised" but they're not sure.

As a consequence I can no longer access the Toyota Link apps in the car - such as weather, fuel finder.

This intrigues me. Akio Toyoda declared that the new Corolla and Crown would  be the start of a new wave of connected vehicles produced by Toyota.

Toyoda's desire for Toyota to collect and presumably monetise the data my car collects, is the reason why Toyota Australia will not allow Apple Carplay to run on the head unit citing "security issues.

Given that Toyota has now lost control of their servers and presumably lost control of *my* data (it's not theirs!), I'm even more annoyed that I can't instead substitute these now crippled apps for Apple Carplay.

I want Spotify in-car damnit! I sent off a strongly worded email and did at least receive an apologetic reply. But zero promises.

Love this car though. As the engine frees up it's getting punchier and more economical. The iMT can be a little annoying how it flares the revs taking off in first, but omg I love the rev matching downshifts. 

IMG_E4133.thumb.JPG.bf3121e71f0a9aacc9ae9b30c4a9fb8e.JPG

IMG_E4134.thumb.JPG.20cd61ac57abe78faf5a476936c09eac.JPG

IMG_E4135.thumb.JPG.4782e288c5ca1dd786b8e9bb6654eb54.JPG

• Like 1

It's one of those contemporary, proprietary iPad-looking devices that sits on top of the dash - which I don't mind! It's a grouse device - but I doubt there will be an aftermarket unit available. 

The North American market struck a Car Play deal with Apple however, which makes Toyota Australia's insistence that the head units in the two markets are different seem disingenuous!

I wonder if a wrecked USDM unit would fit?  Though I don't want to pull stuff apart yet haha

xxx.thumb.jpg.1ce43cd2cb6cb20e61daaf1764c271ee.jpg

23 hours ago, Mechanical Sympathy said:

It's one of those contemporary, proprietary iPad-looking devices that sits on top of the dash - which I don't mind! It's a grouse device - but I doubt there will be an aftermarket unit available. 

The North American market struck a Car Play deal with Apple however, which makes Toyota Australia's insistence that the head units in the two markets are different seem disingenuous!

I wonder if a wrecked USDM unit would fit?  Though I don't want to pull stuff apart yet haha

xxx.thumb.jpg.1ce43cd2cb6cb20e61daaf1764c271ee.jpg

North American Toyotas have had Entune for a few years now (which I don't think ours did) and there is no end of hate for it.

• Upvote 1

Oh I certainly have niggles with it. Carplay would be better!

The satnav with live traffic updates is neat. But the fuel economy tab is a bit hard to decipher. I might have to tweak the settings there.

The main issue for me is the lack of integrated music streaming, since Pandora is no longer available and DAB Double J only works in town. 

So I just bluetooth Spotify or the Triple J app instead. It'd be better on the screen!

• 1 year later...

I was growing tired of the plain 16x7 wheels, while wanting to keep an OEM look. I feel the OEM 18' wheels are just too big and low profile for driving I do so, I purchased these 17x7" 86 GTS wheels from a fellow on a Fakebook page - turns out he's a tech at my local Toyota dealer - and buried them in the shed for a few months.  

Then the next door neighbour landed a new job opening a  new Yokohama tyre store. Of course he convinced me that I "needed" new tyres!

So with 27,000km on them and still plenty of tread left, I swapped the 16x7" wheels for the 17x7" 86 wheels, with some lovely cost-plus Yokohama Bluearth GT tyres. Not super sticky, but so much better than the Bridestone Ecopia tyres they replaced. And well suited to the fortnightly parental Brisbane-Toowoomba-Brisbane-Toowoomba-Brisbane driving duties that this car is used for 95% of the time.

They're not the most aggressive looking upgrade, but I figure it's a nice performance/comfort compromise. And still looks like it could be a dealer fitted option.

Though I had to grind down the inside of the front caps by 1mm to get them to fit snugly over the hub.

Love this car!

IMG_6661.thumb.JPG.ee82eec55fa63d2790d7aa14e522c77c.JPG

IMG_6679.thumb.JPG.22d05863cc3b268a90537d073a6d2f8d.JPG