First start for a while

ausgoss

Hi, in the last couple of weeks I've bought two ke30 4 doors which I hope to turn into one complete car. I'm going to focus getting the body complete before I tackle the mechanical side of things but just want to get the motor running briefly and get a rough idea of where it's at. The one I have with a motor and gearbox, I was told was running fine a few months prior before he dismantled the dash and electrics. I have hooked the ignition back up but my question is how much fuel should I put in the tank considering it was completely drained and will it take long to get the fuel to the car by if all the lines and pump are good? 

I had a quick look over the motor and all fluids and hoses seem to be good. Don't want to change all the fluids, filters, gaskets til I'm a bit further along. 

Also while I've got you, one car has been repainted at some point and I quite like the colour. The paint doesn't look too old but looks like a colour from that period. Did any ke30s come in red? Could a panel beater colour match and supply me with paint to self apply? 

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

If you don't to waste fuel by putting it in the tank just get a jerry can and put fuel in it then disconnect the incoming fuel line at the filter get a small length of fuel line attach it to the filter and put the other end in your container of fuel and start cranking. Any spray shop can colour match and mix  paint for you they also do it at super cheap auto. I had some made up for my daughters rolla at my local paint place and put in a spray can for $25 a go. It was a pretty good match but it was a standard colour.

Hi Ausgoss & welcome aboard !  Very good advice above, from Pete & Graeme.  When an engine has been sitting for a long time, it is completely dry inside. ie: the oil, if any, has drained all the way back to the sump.  Cylinder walls are particularly dry, & those first turn overs, can cause damage, as you would expect.  After taking out the plugs, as Pete has suggested, I would be putting a couple of teaspoons on "light oil" down each spark plug hole, & leave sit for 5 mins.  It the pistons are flat top, the oil will run over the edge of the piston, & down to the top ring, and will provide some lubrication during those first critical starting attempts. Sewing machine oil is very light, but ordinary engine oil will work also, particularly, if you warm it up a bit. 

Once you have the engine started, & it is up to temperature, I would then shutdown, & immediately drain the sump; fit new oil filter, & then start it up again to get "fresh" lubricant, right through the system.

Have fun, but let us know if you have any questions or queries.

Cheers Banjo

Cheers for the replies hopefully find a bit of time on the weekend to give it a go. 

A little about myself. I first found affinity with corollas 14 years ago(I was 16 at the time). Drifting was really taking off in Aus and I wanted an ae86. Could've picked one up back then for 1-2k. I ended getting a licensed and running ke70 for $300 which was pretty normal back then. I was moving away so stored it in a shed on my step dads farm. When I finally came home I was told he gave it away as he didn't think it was worth anything. Anyway a few years later here I am with my ke30's(much prefer this shape anyway) and not so interested in drift anymore. Plans for now is just to restore to original and have a weekend cruiser. In the future I may turn into a track car with a 2tg or 4ag. 

Lastly a few pics of the rollas :)

imageproxy.php?img=&key=69b2c82a94c3a245

IMG20180915141045.jpg

IMG20180911191153.jpg

IMG_20180902_210916.jpg

IMG20180901100024.jpg

IMG20180901095949.jpg

IMG20180901095957.jpg

Nice story !   Looks like a great start, & lots of fun coming up !  Keep us updated with your progress.

Looks like another future budding Rollaclub member there,  in your first pic ?

Suggest you edit your profile to indicate where in Oz you are located.  You just never know, there maybe someone on here, who is close  to you, who could assist, if necessary.

I've got 3-4 others members close to me, that call around sometimes for a chatter, or support for each other.  Collectively, we've all got a lot of spare parts !

Cheers Banjo

Hi Austin,

i had to look up where Burekup was on the map, just north east of Bundury.

Yep that's my 18 month old, his favourite word is car and loves anything with moving parts that makes a noise. 

Now if you were a good Dad, you'd build your kid a minature Toyota, like this Australian Dad did.

australian-dad-builds-miniature-toyota-land-cruiser-for-his-son-84289_1.jpg.f1bff5419118a100b2a73e2a566ba5b5.jpg

You'd never get the smile off his face !

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/australian-dad-builds-miniature-toyota-land-cruiser-for-his-son-84289.html

Cheers Banjo

UPDATE

I was told the tank was completely drained but thought I'd pull out the drain plug and double check. 5 buckets of fuel and a lot of mess later it was. So a bit of fresh fuel and splashed out on a new fuel filter. Went through all the tips you guys gave me and a minute later we had a running engine. Left the choke on to warm it up, choke back in and it idled perfectly. Can rev it up without missing and comes back to idle without a stumbe. Had a mechanic friend come have a look over both cars and he couldn't believe how well it ran. He also advised me which car was in better shape overall so I now know what to focus on

Edited by ausgoss
Misspell

Update (probably the last one for a while) 

I work in the event industry which will be crazy busy real soon plus cricket season is starting up too. Figuring I was about to have less time for cars and it made harder by the cars being in separate locations I knew had to make more room to bring them together, preferably under cover and under lights. A third of my shed had been converted into a games room which I never really used and referred to as the dingy dungeon. So 36 hours later I had taken out the wall and realigned the lighting to sit above each car plus a massive clean out. It is now reborn as my Rolla room. FYI the red car is the one I'm focusing on as the white one has a lot of rust in the chassis and rear quarters, so it's donating it's doors, bonnet, boot, and interior. 

IMG20180923122233.jpg

received_296847747582546.jpeg

IMG20180923183242.jpg

IMG20180926191300.jpg

Hi Austin,

Luv it !  "The Rolla Room"   I tried to build one of them inside my house, in the family room, but not so much to work in, but to relax in.   Even built a 3K  Coffee Table, and planned on hanging a few olde head gaskets & things on the wall, as "art woks" to give it the right feel.

Unfortunately, my wife, (who loves Rollas) deemed that a line crossed too far, & the coffee table now sits forlorn in the corner of my garage.

P.S.  Actually, she is interstate at the moment, visiting our son for a week, & will be back on Sunday.   I might just sneak the coffee table in, & see what reaction I get when she gets home ?

Cheers Banjo