Timing Chain Cover

Banjo

Whilst working on my distributorless 5K project recently, I needed to remove the front timing chain cover, from the engine, to gain access to the camshaft sprocket, to fit a rare earth magnet & Hall Effect sensor.

DSC00844small.thumb.jpg.a7b1fa3e40acc566671f92049dae17d6.jpg

DSC00850small.thumb.jpg.11e9e5933a1417231718d2f671bbbf97.jpg

The engine was on the test bed, & I didn’t want to remove the sump, so thought I’d just take the cover off, as I’ve done it previously on a 4K, whilst it was in the car.  As it was on the test frame, with easy access,  I thought it would not present any issues.  I was wrong !

This particular 5K engine had studs for all sump attachment points, including the four (4) off studs (2 each side), on the bottom of the timing chain cover.  I’d run into this problem previously, but 2 off 6mm nuts tightened back to back, on the bottom of the stud, soon had all four studs unscrewing outwards.

However, the stud would not come out completely, as they had a little raise edge in the middle, to act as a stop, so the length of stud protruding from the block sump flange, or timing chain cover, is uniform.  This little raised section would not pass through the holes in the sump flange.

Not to be “snookered”, I inserted a hacksaw blade between sump flange & sump gasket, & cut them off, just above the little raised section, without damaging gasket or flanges.  Bingo, I was now able to carefully prise out the cover, without damaging the sump gasket, which I intended to reuse.

Whilst I was fitting the sensor, & magnet, I decided to upgrade the timing chain sprockets & chain to a new Rollmaster one, I had on the shelf.  I also replaced the chain tensioner & chain guide.

Fast forward a few days, & I’m ready to replace the timing chain cover.  I did a trial run, before applying gasket goo, (always a good idea), only to find, that the timing chain cover would not go on, without damaging the sump gasket.

Close inspection, revealed that the addition of the dual sprockets & chain, prevented the cover from being lined up properly, as the sump was in the way.  I’d not had this problem, previously, on my 4K-U, in the car.  The reason, is that the 3K motors were produced with dual chain camshaft drives, whereas the 4K & 5K models reverted to a single chain drive.  I spent 30 minutes trying every which way to get the cover on, only to come to the conclusion, that the sump, just had to come off.

Luckily, It was not too great an effort to disconnect all wires & hoses to the engine, & just lift it up off the test bed, so that I could remove the sump, as if the engine was in the car, & the car was up on a hoist, (which I have not got).

DSC00868small.thumb.jpg.72b1da2fdb557c69f256177eb866b48d.jpg

DSC00870small.thumb.jpg.fbf70bef1d00a3f08c3971da119756bb.jpg

DSC00871small.thumb.jpg.8f7da08fcb4a72789fd9a647c886f0f4.jpg

So we live & learn, but I thought I might just pop this on here, in case anyone else gets caught, like I did.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Yes I had to use string, as I had run out of cotton !

Sure, if you ask those who believe in string theory and supersymmetry and in grand unification, they will say that of course they know there is no reason to believe a beautiful theory is more likely to be correct. They still work on them anyway. Because what better could they do with their lives? Or with their grants, respectively. And if you work on it, you better believe in it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2016/11/25/what-every-layperson-should-know-about-string-theory/#1fb9d19f5a53

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo