KE35 Build

R.SIlva

Hello everyone,

I bought a decent KE35 that you can see in the picture. The car came as a body and a pile of parts inside, it is almost completely disassembled. Despite its looks its in really good condition, at least in terms of the body as it has no rust. The previous owner did a poor job painting the car, it is full of blisters and cracks in the paint.

I am an amateur in mechanics but it was always my dream to own a classic corolla, I know almost every part that is in the car but some parts I have no idea where they are from so I would like you to help me out.

For starters, what are those parts you can see in the picture?

Hope you can help me out.

20180929_115106_2.jpg

20180930_103221_2.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Thank you!

I'm located in Portugal.

I'm sure more questions will arise, and I will keep you posted on the progress I make.

BTW, I'm having a hard time finding a center console for the car here in Portugal and I though that I can 3D print one. What do you think? If some one could provide me pictures and measurements of it I could do it, and I could provide the model to however wants to do the same.

Is your KE35 a manual or auto gearbox ?  The consoles are a bit different.  Heaps of them here in Aussie.  Off memory, there are only two basic colours.  Black or Beige.  They are bulky but quite light, so maybe posting one over to you in Portugal could be a better option, & give you more time to get on with other things.

Have you had the engine running as yet ?

Cheers Banjo

It is manual gearbox. Great, mine should be black to match the rest of the interior. What prices are we talking about for the console + shipping?

No, not yet. The engine came out of the car so I don't know if it runs or not.

I'm currently stripping it down for paint and I only work on the car on weekends. The car is currently as in the picture. Next weekend I will be removing the front struts and will sand and paint the underbody of the car with chassis paint.20181013_151434_2.thumb.jpg.81c4b0d38c4a305204a38f65323df1af.jpg

Nice work place !   Wish I had that much room around my Rolla,  under cover, to work on it.  You've even got a lounge there in the background to sit on, when you need a break ?

Cleaning back the underside for painting, can be a happy, or unhappy time, depending on what you find, when you strip away, back to bare metal, after 40+ years.

Good luck !

Banjo

On 10/18/2018 at 12:51 AM, Banjo said:

Cleaning back the underside for painting, can be a happy, or unhappy time, depending on what you find, when you strip away, back to bare metal, after 40+ years.

Well, I already found two parts of the car with rust holes. Going to buy sheet metal to mold it and repair the rust.

20181020_151749_2.jpg

20181020_132248_2.jpg

Oh dear !   If water creeps in behind that floor sound deadening stuff, that Toyota painted on 40+ years ago, you often can't see any rust, until you scrape it off.  Hope that's all the rust you find !

About the console... no luck or should I search another thread?

I've been looking for a black console I was sure I had. Couldn't find it, which you would understand, if you saw the back of my shed, where I keep all this stuff.

After looking again today, I suddenly remembered, I sold it to a fellow Rollaclub member here in Australia, about a year ago, as part of a whole kit of bits & pieces he bought off me, for his resto of his Rolla.

So sorry, I haven't got a console for you.   Put it up on the forum under "Wanted to Buy" & see if you get any response.  If I do come across one in my travels, I'll let you know.  Looks like it might be a little while, before you arrive at the fit-out part of the resto.

Good luck !

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo