SR20DET ke70 question.

Green_bucket

Members dont see this ad
On 10/25/2018 at 3:06 PM, kickn5k said:

The gym.....

Sorry, but the door was left open so I had too. 

I'm with Dave, I'd drive the car first and see what it's like. My ke11 is really light but my 1600 is reasonably heavy at car park speeds(that's got something to do with the geometry and the massive lump FJ20 turbo).

Dave's hybrid type setup could be a good thing. I've also seen holden electric power steer, fitted it makes for a really neat engine bay(no pump). I also found  a company in QLD that do a complete electric column that does speed sensitive adjustments. I'll dig up the link when I'm home.

Yeah, early Astra's have an electric power steer pump which is not computer controlled, so easy to use.

I'm also in the drive it and see camp. Used to run 235's on the front of my HZ ute without power steer and it was fine. In fact I took the power steering off that car.

Comes down to more factors than just tyre size as well though. Size of steering wheel is one ie will be easier to steer at low speed/ stopped with a 350mm wheel rather than 300 for example. 

Wheel alignment plays a big factor too. Castor camber and toe change on my Celica made it considerably heavier than car parks than before 

And running p/s knuckles on manual rack gives good lock but once again makes steering heavier.

Weldy/ heavily shimmed diff makes it hard to steer in some parking/ low speed scenarios so avoid that too for street use. 

Basically keep it sensible and I don't think you'll have any need for power steering. Once you're at like 40kmh+ factory steering is light as hell anyway