ke35 4age conversion

Dwemer centurion

Hi guys can someone make a list of things i need for swapping a 4age 16v. I know i need a engine the t50 transmision what about diffs and if i use a ta22 diff how am i going to replace the suspension parts? coilovers ? shocks ? what else do i need ??? (i still don't have the car but i am doing research so this can't turn into a money pit)

edit: do i need to shorten the driveshaft ? 

Edited by Dwemer centurion

Members dont see this ad

"...so this can't turn into a money pit"

haha!  Its sure to!!  Anyway.. don't forget your clutch setup, steering box or change to rack, LCA and steering arm dimensions, brakes and hub sizes..   Life is simpler if you leave all the suspension & brakes as they are, maybe do the conversion first and get it running, then do the chassis afterwards.  You should keep the plan flexible as a lot of parts you list might be unavailable.

Try concentrating on the motor, the gearbox, the clutch pedal setup and the driveshaft. Make the mounts, work out the steering so the idler arm doesn't hit the exhaust, radiator, electric fan setup, wiring, exhaust right through, get it running and tackle the rest then.

A big part will be as Spirit mentioned, the change from leaf springs to 5-link. If the link arms can't fit under the floor, and those mounts alone would take some fabrication, you will be left with leaf springs on the ta22 and will need to modify the rear end to hold it in place anyway. Sure, plain leafs will work, but they will easily be overwhelmed.

In terms of money, to build what you suggest i would guess approximately $10k just in parts and outsourced fabrication. and about 13k total finish it off completely. 

Sounds like a money pit to me:)

So if you got the ke30 for 2-3k, You are getting very close to $20k by the time you have done it all properly. 

I love corollas as much as the next guy, but a properly built 4age ke30 is still a 4age ke30. 

If it were me, and i wanted a 4age corolla and i had a few dollars in my pocket,  id buy a ke70 with all the things already done. 4age, diff, suspension etc. prolly get one for 5k or so these days that needs some loving. Strip it down, paint and rebuild it so its in working order. You might be in 10k by then. half price and alot less effort. and apart from looking like a shoe box is arguably the better car in terms of mechanics. Coil springs, rack and pinion, ease of parts from the ae86 that just bolt in, no fabricating or modifying things. 

but then my name is ke70dave, not ke30dave ;)

This is a little on the expensive side, but if that has an LSD in it and you could get it for say 6-7k then you are well on your way. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kilmore/cars-vans-utes/corolla-ke70-4ag/1200132887

Edited by ke70dave

Yep!  Over $20K for anything with less than 200,000Km.  Money ain't worth what it was!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/toyota/sprinter/ae86-series/

Even the "unfinished projects" are $9K

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cars-vans-utes/carmake-toyota/carmodel-toyota_sprinter/c18320

Chase up parts prices for the basic engine & gearbox swap and see what it looks like Dwemer. Can you do you own engineering and welding to make motor mounts??

Building cars is rarely a financially sound plan.  Cars, whether projects or new, are simply expensive to own and run.  At least if you build a project you own every dollar, not like when you go buy a new Hilux or something, borrow 55k and end up paying back 95 to 100k.  At least if you spent 100k on an old car youd have 100k worth of stuff, and if the result is good, its still better value than paying an eventual 100k for a car that is going to be worth 22k when you sell it in 6 or 7 years if your lucky.  In that sense, if you buy into a car that will or is appreciating, then you can at least be in a better position. 

"So what you are telling me is that i shouldn't buy a family car. I should HAVE BOUGHT a 911 turbo."

Price for a 1975 model was under $40K in the 1990s......  Now $100,000 to $500,000+

But yes, a car you build is a lot more satisfying than one you buy.  You have to factor in a large payment for the enjoyment of it.