Heat Protection Wrapping for Exhaust

Banjo

Whilst doing some programming for the pulse trigger decoder, for my distributorless 5K, & not working directly on the engine, I decided to fit an O2 sensor mounting point on the standard exhaust pipe.  I then added some fibreglass wrap on the pipe.  It was more for protection, rather than good looks, as I'm working around the engine in shorts, I don't want to burn my legs accidentally (which has happened previously).

The fibreglass wrapping kits are very cheap on-line, & for about $20.00, I got 15m of tape + 10 x S.S. ties, free postage, with plenty of tape left over.

Now I've never done this before, nor had the need, so watched a couple of on-line videos, of how to go about it, by pre wrapping it loosely, & then dampening the tape with water, to soften, & give the tape a bit more flexibility as you wrap.  That all worked out fine, but when I came to fitting the S.S. ties, I ran into trouble.  They just wouldn't pull up tight, like I expected.

I watched the videos again, & they made it look so simple, by just pulling it up tight, bending the end over, cutting the excess off, & pushing it back 180 deg into the clasp.

I actually managed to get just one to do that, but it was a pain.  Then I realised it wasn't really tight.  I looked at the clamping arrangement, & it has a tiny "rough" ball inside, That grips the S.S. ties & "jams" it.  I wasn't happy, & didn't know whether it was my technique, or that I had just scored some "cheapy" ties, in my cheap on-line purchase.

I finished up, just buying some ordinary  S.S. hose clips at SCA, which worked perfectly, as depicted below.

DSC00986small.thumb.jpg.54f1cc8fcb0445d1420386306fd25c61.jpg

DSC00987small.thumb.jpg.f721b9fed62723d1994978a82e8f4ddc.jpg

DSC00988small.thumb.jpg.3b8bd6ba92d94386bbc8984d847f0937.jpg

To stop the wrap from losing tension, as I wound the tape tightly around the pipe, I used oridinary plastic zip ties to temporarily hold the wrap in place, until I got to the end, & fitted the metal hose clamps.

I then thought, this is so easy, why doesn't some one make a hi temperature plastic zip tie for this application.

I looked on line, & did find some rated up to 240 deg C, but that is probably not high enough.  Has anyone come across some Hi Temp zip ties, in their travels ??

Anyway, I finished up spraying the installed fibreglass wrap with high temp paint (colour aluminium), for exhaust systems. I saturated the porous tape, & put it in the sun for a day. I then refitted the exhaust pipe to the engine, & ran it, until the pipe reached operating temperature.  It had the effect of "baking" the wrap on, & gave what appears to be a very good reliable finish.

It was only an experiment, & time will tell.

If anyone, has some personal experience with wrapping exhausts, or has some tips, please add here.

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

Thanks again Ben !   I went to Bunnings & bought a packet of 10 off stainless steel ties,  4.6mm x 250mm long, for just $4.60. (Electrical Section)

Looked pretty much the same as the ones that came with the fibreglass wrap.  Same design, same technique.  Tried one when I got home, & it was like "chalk & cheese".  These pull up nice & tight, & do not slip back at all.   The packet was labelled by a company called STAHL, & were made in Taiwan.  I'd say the ones that came with the kit were a China copy, where they didn't quite get it right.

I used simple tie wire and twisted it off with the tie wire pliers to secure the ends

Tie wire is a good idea. I might give that a try around the "collector" area.  Actually, if you look closely at the area you highlighted above, I did leave one of the temporary plastic zip ties there to see how it fared with the heat.  The big one going around the collector is a long one that was supplied with the tape kit, but it is loose, so I might pull both these off, & tie them off as you have suggested, & see how it looks & works.

Cheers Banjo   

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 1

The only concern ive always had is that insulation traps moisture. So on a car that is driven every day its fine, but on a car that is rarely driven i would potentially be hesitant to insulate from a corrosion point of view. But i think in reality it would take years to be a problem. 

Hi Dave,

The same concern crossed my mind.  Whilst wrapping it, I used a spray bottle of water, (just like my wife does when she is ironing the clothes) to soften the fibreglass wrap, & I did note how porous the material was.  That's one reason why I used over half a "rattle can" of Hi Temp paint to seal the whole thing.  I actually ran the engine for a while, before I applied the paint, to ensure no moisture was trapped inside.  When I've got it all finished, I might pour some water over it, when I've got the test rig outside, & see whether it all runs off.

The wrap does result in a less "tinnie" noise level, which is nice. 

Cheers Banjo

• 2 weeks later...

I did a bit of cleaning up, on the collector area, as suggested, & although not using the tie wire, I did make a triangle, using the Bunnings stainless steel ties, which are heaps better than those supplied with the heat tape.

DSC01018small.thumb.jpg.5cded2e80608157918ac5afbbf7f24eb.jpg

DSC01016small.thumb.jpg.c113c8d95f69e3ceb133a0103dd398af.jpg

I had so much tape left over, I even lagged the front box, just because I had it.

DSC01017small.thumb.jpg.9f6cb5b26e40c3d0a72a9148d38c20a7.jpg

Always hard to know how much tape you need, if you've never done it before.  For those interested, I ordered 15m of 50mm wide tape.

With all that pipe depicted below wrapped, with a generous overlay, I still had 4.5 meters left over.

DSC01023small.thumb.jpg.5adcafcb60afbf534d843d5e9752acdc.jpg

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Scott,  Can't really say, as mine is not in a closed situation, as you can see from the pics. Has got rid of that "tinny" sound you get from a bare exhaust pipe, so probably changes it's vibration frequency a bit.  I put it on to basically stop me burning my leg, when walking around the test engine, & not concentrating, because I was intent on something else.

Cheers Banjo