Engine conversions. For a ignorant dude.

Rolla.viking

I am Sorry for asking about a topic that's already been discussed a houndred times before! But I'm a noob when it comes to Toyota and need some one to treat me like i was retarded😉👍

I am from Norway and have been wrenching and modifying cars on a hobby basis for about 10 years. I recently fell in love with a ke70 and have begun general restorarion on it now. It has a little rust and Will amongst other things now get wider Steel arches, and a half rollcage. The car has the original 4 speed gearbox and a 1,4 engine. I'm determined to give the car a little more horses, and a better ratio in the rear diff or a new transmission. 

When i search the topic almost all of the discussions i find just reffers to the engine by a couple of letters. Like 4age. I have learnt a little about this but my head usualy boils in the end, when i try to untangle the info i read. 

I have learnt that a diff from hilux/hiace is a good match, but the engine I am very unsure about. Not all toyota types are available for me where i live, like the older bigger ones. I can find a carina which has the 4age engine (if I am not mistaken) but don't know anything about what it takes to do this conversion contra a Nissan engine witch i have found out is pooular. S13? 

IT would be a big advantage for me in terms of getting this approoved for the road, if I could use the original gearbox or atleast the original mounts, for the engine and gearbox. 

I have this thing i want to do, but I don't know if its possible. Can i use a mod2001 hiace diesel engine? Would this fit the gearbox, or would it require a adapter-plate? The car i found(hiace) has a 4x4 gearbox. Does this fir without to much trouble, and is it possible to Block off the fwd output's on it? 

I also have a 2004 corolla with a 1,6 engine available. But this must require a adapter, No? And a camry dx 1,8 fwd 1986mod. Does this fit original gearbox? 

Can someone take the time to give me some examples of what conversions that will work, with the name and Model of the donor car? Not just the, 4age name? 

As written earlier, treat me as a little retarded😂 cus i most likely am! 😏👍😂

I apologize for my bad english! Hope u understand. 

I need to upgrade the brakes to the same standard as the car, the donor engine comes from. (to get it legal) so it would be a big + if i can modify the brakes/struts from the donorcar to fit. But maybe this is asking to much? 

thanks to you, if u answer!

Tommy... 

Screenshot_20181028-184621.thumb.jpg.24fdd0bd8e2e31e713d9390e603390d3.jpg

Edited by Rolla.viking

• 2 months later...
Members dont see this ad

Hello.  the only bigger motor that will fit your existing tranny should be a 7k.  That is, the biggest of the K engines at 1.8 litres.  Its usually installed in liteace or townace vans.  I assume you have the 4k engine, which is 1.3 litres.  Take the time to read the wikipedias on different Toyota engine familys.  It will really help you out.  Try and understand how engines are named, theres a lot of info on this and different letters give different info about the spec of the engine.

For example:

4AGE

4th variant designed of the A series engine

G means wide angle between valves so more performance inclined with dohc.

E equals Electronic fuel injection.

Another example:

4AGZE

As above but the Z placed there means it came from the factory with a supercharger.

There are pages online that seem to explain this in much greater detail.

Diesels are commonly overlooked, and I think great for some conversions depending on purpose.  I saw a Diesel RA40 celica at a car show recently with the Hilux KZTE engine.  It was quiet, civilised, had air conditioning, and it made 268 horsepower.  Seemed pretty cool to me.

Try to find an engine and gearbox as a set to make it simpler, but there really is nothing that just bolts in except a 7k.

30 minutes ago, LittleRedSpirit said:

Try to find an engine and gearbox as a set to make it simpler, but there really is nothing that just bolts in except a 7k.

The 7k is not a "bolt in" conversion though, still requires sump or crossmember mods to fit. 

The 5k is the biggest "bolt in" engine.

First, go and find a gearbox shop that can completely rebuild your K-series gearbox.  Greater power will break it, and I have never found a shop that can supply the cage roller bearings that run directly on the shafts. They also wear the shafts away so make sure the shop can rebuild the shafts as well.  Personally, I think K-gearboxes are dead and will be the factor that kills our cars.  You don't need it done now, but its no good doing a conversion with no spare parts in the future.

After that you have the T-series gearboxes behind the T-motors and A-motors. The T-motors are Toyota's first attempt at DOHC, a compromise 8-valve motor, but still a giant leap ahead of the K.  You could fit an 18RG motor and W-series gearbox from a Celica but they are all old and worn by now too.  After that came the 16-valve A-series, the most swapped motor, and it uses the T-series box also.  The most recent motor will be the Altezza 3SGE with the J160 6-speed gearbox. We are part-way through fitting the gearbox into a KE70, although behind a 4AGE and not the 3S motor yet.  You can easily look up Wikipaedia for these motors and boxes, and the cars they went in.

From then you run out of rear-wheel-drive options in newer cars, so it becomes a much bigger job. LittleRedSpirit's car is superb, you could do that. You could look to ute motors as you say, but all ute gear is very heavy and you are putting it in a light car.  The diff would be a much heavier weight banging up and down in the back of a KE70 compared to a 2-ton Hilux. I wouldn't use anything from a ute, get the lightest gear you can.

Finally are the options of non-Toyota, the Nissan RWD S-series and Mazda's MX5. The RWD layout makes them easier, and that is getting harder and harder to find.  How many small RWD cars are left??  MX5s and BMWs..??

So- simplest is the 5K, then you have to change mounts and crossmember for a 7k, then a 4AGE, which is as hard as any of the others from 2T to 18RG to 3SGE.  After that you're on your own...

9 hours ago, altezzaclub said:

First, go and find a gearbox shop that can completely rebuild your K-series gearbox.  Greater power will break it, and I have never found a shop that can supply the cage roller bearings that run directly on the shafts. They also wear the shafts away so make sure the shop can rebuild the shafts as well.  Personally, I think K-gearboxes are dead and will be the factor that kills our cars.  You don't need it done now, but its no good doing a conversion with no spare parts in the future.

After that you have the T-series gearboxes behind the T-motors and A-motors. The T-motors are Toyota's first attempt at DOHC, a compromise 8-valve motor, but still a giant leap ahead of the K.  You could fit an 18RG motor and W-series gearbox from a Celica but they are all old and worn by now too.  After that came the 16-valve A-series, the most swapped motor, and it uses the T-series box also.  The most recent motor will be the Altezza 3SGE with the J160 6-speed gearbox. We are part-way through fitting the gearbox into a KE70, although behind a 4AGE and not the 3S motor yet.  You can easily look up Wikipaedia for these motors and boxes, and the cars they went in.

From then you run out of rear-wheel-drive options in newer cars, so it becomes a much bigger job. LittleRedSpirit's car is superb, you could do that. You could look to ute motors as you say, but all ute gear is very heavy and you are putting it in a light car.  The diff would be a much heavier weight banging up and down in the back of a KE70 compared to a 2-ton Hilux. I wouldn't use anything from a ute, get the lightest gear you can.

Finally are the options of non-Toyota, the Nissan RWD S-series and Mazda's MX5. The RWD layout makes them easier, and that is getting harder and harder to find.  How many small RWD cars are left??  MX5s and BMWs..??

So- simplest is the 5K, then you have to change mounts and crossmember for a 7k, then a 4AGE, which is as hard as any of the others from 2T to 18RG to 3SGE.  After that you're on your own...

The hilux diff from memory is still well within the ballpark(weight wise) of a commo/skyline borgy diff.

k50 aren't that bad mine is still chuggin along and that had 120rwkw and double the torque of taz's turbo car. But yeah the vast majority could do with a birthday. I may look into looking at one after I swap the turbo motor and either my W50 or an auto.

I've done 2 7k convos they really only need a small section cut from the sump or crossmember to clear and the mou ts just need about a 5mm slot cut to work. That was with a 2x and 3x though. I did here wispers a while ago from a prominent OG Rclub member that the sump or crossmember mod(either work) was not needed for the 7x chassis only mildly elongating the mounts as the blocks are a hair wider.

Edited by kickn5k
Worded incorrectly

I had only heard of height issues on 7k into ke70 but I could be wrong.

Point being a 7k is a lot more findable at least in Australia as the 5k powered vehicles arent really on the road anymore but the 7k vans continued up past 2000 model year.

I think a 2.7 litre RZ Hilux motor would be a good conversion if you couldnt find much else.  Might be hard to find a tall enough diff, but they really do make great torque and theyre hard to kill.  Would be annoying having a useless first gear but youd get used to it.

Dont try and make a 4wd box into 2wd, its not worth it.

2azfe engines are everywhere, but judging from the questions your asking, making mounts, oil pickups and manifolds might go over your head at this stage in your modifying career.  Also the required W5x box is getting hard to find.  I remember when Terry tried to sell one here 5 years ago for 150 bucks, no takers.  I just saw one up for $850!  Makes it seem like me paying a grand to get a car with one spare was worth it.

• Upvote 1