Banjo

Air Conditioning in KE3X - KE5X Corollas

Another steamy Summer already in Queensland, and a boy's thoughts turn to . . . . .  Air Conditioning.  I know, some KEs had A/C factory fitted as standard.  However, my KE30 2 door sedan, was not one of them, as originally with a 2 speed auto, & a 3K engine, it would never have got up hills, whilst the A/C was on. (It probably even had trouble getting up hills without the A/C on)

My better half always complains, when it is hot & sticky, . . . . "can you put A/C in this car ?"  My standard answer, is  . . .  "It already has A/C, just wind the windows down, to start it up."

Unfortunately, that retort, is starting to "run thin", so as I have a 5K going into it soon, I thought maybe it might not be that hard to retro-fit A/C.

Now I don't want to go find an olde KE Rolla, that had A/C, & pull everything off, & swap it over, as a compressor that olde, would be pretty cactus, & not worth reconditioning.

Modern auto compressors, I would hope, would be a lot more efficient, & more plentiful.

So my question is this . . .

Has anyone on here, successfully retro fitted an A/C system into their KE Rolla, that originates from a "modern car" (<10years old around 1.5 - 2.0 litre) ?

There is plenty of room down on the front of the installed 5K Rolla engine, to fit the compressor, with good access. A compressor mounting bracket could easily be fashioned, I would think, & there are two (2) mounting points on the block, similar to the alternator mounting on the opposite side of the engine.

So if anyone has done this, please post & provide some details, as I'm not interested in "reinventing the wheel", if someone has been through the exercise previously.

P.S.  Now the 5K engine I have, probably came out of a Toyota forklift or similar, as it had three (3) pulley grooves, on the crankshaft pulley.  One for the alternator, & two for power steering pump & some sort of hydraulic pump; so an A/C should not be too hard on it.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

My 5k had some sort of pump on the rhs of yhe engine so brackets are around that could be adapted.

I'll try and get a rough measurment of a Cruze compressor at work for you

Actually, OEX  list a rebuilt compressor and clutch in their catledog for a KE30/35

Part number crd6093 & cxx003

Edited by coln72

Thanks Kevin,

Good pics !  So what car make & model car did the compressor you used originate from ?  Seems to fit well, & just what I'm looking for.

Cheers Banjo