Ke55 Oil Pan gasket

MrTimmah

Members dont see this ad

In theory you can do it in the car, but its a dog of a job. 

The new gasket has to go under the oil pump, which goes down low in the sump.

KE70 sumps have studs in the front 4 holes which means the sump has to drop a lot to clear them, I'm not sure about your KE55.

I lifted the motor as high as I could without taking it out to do it. So the radiator hoses came off but most everything else stayed attached.

A better way would be to lift the motor a little and drop the crossmember, only 4 bolts and two engine mounts there.  With the 6-speed in the rally car the only way to get the motor/g'box out will be to drop the crossmember and let it hang on the steering arms/castor rods, and having done it a few times a day in the last week it gets pretty simple.

Hi Tim,

I have a 79 Ke55 and the oil pan gasket is leaking.

Is the oil pan gasket leaking in just one place, or in several places ?  I've come across leaking oil pan gaskets, that can be fixed, by just going around & tightening each & every sump bolt & nut, without the pain of replacing the oil pan/sump gasket in situ.  If the gasket appears to be leaking at the rear, there is always the possibility that it is really a leaking rear oil seal, which can appear to the untrained eye to be a leaking oil pan gasket.

If the sump area is a big oily mess, I'd run the front of your car up on the ramps; tighten every sump flange nut & bolt; give the whole area a good dousing of "aerosol degreaser"; hose it all down with a bit of pressure; let it dry; start up the car & take it for a 20 minute run; run it up on the ramps again, & see if it really needs the gasket being replaced, or is just isolated at one point. If the oil leak is right at the front, (quite common) then the leaking oil gets "blown" back over the entire sump, & looks a lot worse than it really is.

Let us know how you go.  I can assure you "Altezzaclub", above is quite correct, that replacing the sump gasket, with the engine in the car is a "dog of a job", & you'll finish up swearing a lot !

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo

I just remembered, I once changed an oil pump, & a set of big-end bearings, in my KE55 coupe, without removing, or lifting the engine, but just supporting it, & removing the front cross member altogether.  As Altezzaclub, suggests. It is not such a big job, & you have very clear access to the bottom of the engine, as the following pics display.

2005_1029Image0013.thumb.JPG.fd42cecfd93ffd830614212556b9ffa8.JPG

2005_1029Image0023.thumb.JPG.5cfb125e85b9d6c2c6185d9a8054e9d9.JPG

2005_1029Image0025.thumb.JPG.24641d1ccd17950e4e8835d09e394c74.JPG

2005_1029Image0016.thumb.JPG.bfe114b1ea671fbd0856e77c4ed1280f.JPG

2005_1029Image0019.thumb.JPG.f8a6eec4c84ca55808484971fd16a0e2.JPG

2005_1029Image0022.thumb.JPG.c6f6e00719f4e669d6adc89d0fe7bd2a.JPG

2005_1029Image0024.thumb.JPG.6a8cf4137377a6c8f99d9a5799545e76.JPG

Only "scary", if you have an "aversion", to K Series engines falling on your head.

phobia

1. an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.
    "she suffered from a phobia about birds"
    synonyms: abnormal fear, irrational fear, obsessive fear, fear, dread, horror, terror, dislike, hatred, loathing, detestation, distaste, aversion, antipathy, revulsion, repulsion; More

1. aversion

1. a strong dislike or disinclination.
      "they made plain their aversion to the use of force"
      synonyms: dislike of, distaste for, disinclination, abhorrence, hatred, hate, loathing, detestation, odium, antipathy, hostility; 

• someone or something that arouses a strong dislike or disinclination.
        "my dog's pet aversion is visitors, particularly males"
    synonyms:

abnormal fear, irrational fear, obsessive fear, fear, dread, horror, terror, dislike, hatred, loathing, detestation, distaste, aversion, antipathy, revulsion, repulsion;

Most definitely leaking; & probably for some time.  Remove the aluminium seal housing & replace.  A very good idea to replace the gearbox spigot bearing in the crankshaft, while you are at it, if it feels in any way a bit "dry". or you can sense any movement, with your little finger.

Good luck !

Cheers Banjo

Hi Tim,

Personally I would not try to prise the seal out, with it in situ in the engine.  Too much risk of scoring the seal journal on the crankshaft.  By removing the seal holder, without lowering the sump, again, you will probably damage something.

Just clean the whole sump pan gasket mating area, & get all that accumulated rubbish off, then lower the sump itself, at the back, & take the aluminium seal housing out.

Cheers Banjo