Mystery squeak

Bluebeast

I have a squeak that i can hear while i drive. I'm fairly confident that it isnt a belt squeak because it almost sounds as if it is coming from below the car. The only clue I can give is that there is no squeak in neutral. Only when the car is moving. But the squeak goes away when i put even the slightest amount of pressure on the clutch. Any guidance would be muchly appreciated. Cheers

Members dont see this ad

" the squeak goes away when i put even the slightest amount of pressure on the clutch. "

If you're quite confident in this then it limits the options-

Clutch pedal/pedal box vibrations

Does it have a cable?? A likely source of squeaks if it does, it vibrates a lot when relaxed.

Clutch arm going into the gearbox. Does it have a spring pulling the clutch arm back off the pressure plate?

Thrust bearing

Spigot bearing

..and that pretty much cover the components that get affected when you press the clutch pedal.  Something may be making the noise as the result of the general engine vibration, rather than being worn itself. Also notable that its only when the car is under motion, when the motor and components are tilted under force compared to relaxed in neural. That makes it hard to crawl around searching for it.

• 2 months later...