Memory Test

Big G

So the Princess had a flat battery today for no apparent reason but couldn't be any flatter if it tried. So jump started her and moved her to a position to get her on the battery charger only to find there is a big arse nail hanging out of a partially flat rear tyre. So out with the jack and wheel brace and off came the wheel. Got the spare out and it looks brand new still got the little manufacturer rubber nipple things on it. So my question is what tyre did the 1980 ke55 come out of the factory wearing. The tyre is an Enduro Grand 2000. 

Members dont see this ad

Hi Graeme,

Have no idea what tyre brand the KE55 wheels were wrapped in 40 years ago.  (I was a boy then, & more interested in girls than cars) The Enduro brand to me relates more to motor bike tyres.  I can't image that the tyre on your girls car is the original after 40 years.

Current motor cars suggest never using a tyre that has been in the boot more than 6 years.  The rubber breaks down.  I've had two instances of this in recent years; one very recent, (like last week)

About 18 months ago, I needed to drive from Brisbane to Canberra, in a day. I did the usual quick check of the car, including tyre pressures, including the spare.  Lifting up the boot floor revealed a big bulge in the side of the spare. It had never been out of the boot.  It was about 10 years olde.

A week ago, I picked up a 1998 BMW 316i, at a bargain price, on the side of the road. Last weekend, I spent a couple of hours going over it. The spare is under the car at the back, lowered through the boot.  After pulling it out, I found it was the original Continental tyre supplied with the car, when new.  (20 years old) It had never been out, or used as the moulding pips were still on the tyre tread. It was very down on air, so I pumped it up. The whole wheel was so covered in mud, from all those years exposed, so I gave it a good clean.  Whilst cleaning the rim, I bumped the air filling stalk, & it just snapped off, like a pretzel. That's how brittle the rubber had become.

DSC01086.thumb.JPG.ffb536500643ae13fd535489fd44e2f3.JPG

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I consulted the archive, and have a KE55 brochure. The one with the red XX hardtop on the front.

That car has Olympic Steelflex’s on it. Interestingly the SE & wagon only had fabric radials fitted, whereas the CS had steel belt radials. 

Can’t see the brands on the other models, but they were 155SR13’s on SE and ZR78S13’s on the CS & XX, so you could look at the specification and get an idea of how likely it is to be original. 

• 2 weeks later...

A week ago, I picked up a 1998 BMW 316i, at a bargain price, on the side of the road. Last weekend, I spent a couple of hours going over it. The spare is under the car at the back, lowered through the boot.  After pulling it out, I found it was the original Continental tyre supplied with the car, when new.  (20 years old) It had never been out, or used as the moulding pips were still on the tyre tread. It was very down on air, so I pumped it up. The whole wheel was so covered in mud, from all those years exposed, so I gave it a good clean.  Whilst cleaning the rim, I bumped the air filling stalk, & it just snapped off, like a pretzel. That's how brittle the rubber had become.

My 85 RA65 had the original spare in the car, on an alloy rim too.  Someone really took care of that thing.  You can tell by the date stamp on the tyre when it was made.  Look for a month year tag somewhere.

Well I got around to taking my Continental CST17 (compact spare tyre) to Bob Jane today, as I could not figure out the date of manufacture.  They quickly identified the tyre as being manufacturing date, from a number 268, which is 26th Week of the year 1998.  As the Bimmer was manufactured in June 1998, & first registered on the Gold Coast in September 1998, that all makes sense.  So the spare wheel was 20 years olde, & had never ever been used. The moulding pips on the tread, still had remnants of the paint stripe they put on new tyres.

Only trouble is I am having problems trying to source a new 125/90 R15 CST tyre. Bob Jane can't get hold of them, & said I would have to order through BMW.  Will have to ring around tomorrow.

Cheers Banjo

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I was looking on the Princess' tyre for the date stamp. From what you have said Banjo it is a code. It was only on for 18 hours until I got a chance to get the flat tyre replaced. She wasn't happy about the look of the spare so she parked in a corner when she was at work so no one could see it. She is all about the aesthetics. I was just interested to see if it was the original as the car was a 2 owner before we got it and the first owners were an older couple so it was a lower mileage when the second owner bought it. He had grand plans of a transplant but only got as far as pulling the engine and tranny out and she sat for 2 years before the Princess got a hold of her, and the rest is history. That tyre from BMW will probably cost you as much as you paid for the car.

Hi Graeme,

The date code for tyres, manufactured after the year 2000, have a 4 digit date code, whereas those made before 2000, have 3 digit code.

This Bridgestone site describes it clearly.

https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/how-to-tell-the-age-of-a-tyre 

image.png.ec55ef1cc84502d98d361fbd6fb9acc8.png

image.png.b8fc36b58e913b84e4b5e4a5fafc7ea0.png

This morning, I've got a few tyre outlets in Brissy, chasing P & A for the 125/90 R15   CST for me.

I'll let you know how I go.  Other option (which would probably be cheaper) would be to fit a standard wheel, as the spare, but that would need lots of mods under the rear, to hang it, & there would be a lot of extra weight, I'd be carting around constantly.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Graeme,

Here is a good little article, about spare wheels, & flat tyres, in the current hi tech world.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/full-size-spare-space-saver-run-flats-or-puncture-repair-kit-what-to-look-out-for-31389

I never had this problem in my KE30.  I upgraded my front brakes & wheels years ago. The wheels are olde skool alloy14" Deltas, & just fit over the Cressida rotors & calipers, fitted to Celica RA65 struts.  The spare is the original 13" steelie, which fits nicely in the boot well, as original, as it should.

I've never had to use it, & if I ever had a flat on a front wheel, I'd bring a rear wheel to the front, & put the 13" spare on the rear wheel.  That would keep the front wheels the same diameter, & the rear wheels a little different, which would not be as critical, as long as the distance home was short, & at relatively slow speed.  The only consequence would be the differential gears would work a bit harder.  Anyways, I've never had a flat, but would be interested in hear what others have done, when fitting larger wheels & tyres.

Maybe a tin of pressurised puncture repair product, in the boot, is the way to go ?

Cheers Banjo