Devil GP

Mtopxsecret6

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad
  • 3 weeks later...

This is my Corolla 2 GP Turbo. 

I don't really need to introduce this car, as everyone knows of it, and its been owned by a few people over the past 20 years.
It was standard then; had an engine swap, from a 3e to a 4age, everyone knows the details so I wont bore people with that. It's gone through different stages in it's life, and frankly it's had a hard life. I knew this car 20 year ago plus another one everyone knows. I've always wanted to get my hands on one since then, and the stars aligned and the timing was right, and here we are. so instead of talking about stuff people already know about this car, here's something different...

"GP TURBO" KNOWLEDGE:
This technically isn't a corolla, they are a Retra chassis that was sold under 3 different model names for the respective targeted markets that Toyota wanted to  exploit and tap extra profit from.
Corsa, Corolla 2, Tercel.   These 3 badge names had sub trim level models. 
The Retra chassis was sold in the Al20, El30/31/NL30, El40/41/NL40 and also the El50/51/NL50. 

The EL30/31/NL30  sub models being:TX,GL,ZX,LIME,SR,SR SPORT PACKAGE,SR-I,SR-I SPORTS PACKAGE,SR-I CANVAS TOP,MOA, MOA CANVAS TOP,SOPHIA,EX DIESEL,UX,SX-I,SX-I SPORTS PACKAGE, SX-I CANVAS TOP,VL,VX,VC,VS,VS SPORTS PACKAGE,VS TURBO SPORTS PACKAGE,CUTIE,WINDY,WINDY CANVAS TOP,AR,(TOYOTA FOUR) and finally GP TURBO. Toyota tried to hit the market big in the mid size vehicle category. 
these were powered with either a 2e, 3e, 4e or diesel variant engines. Toyota also released a (corsa/Tercel) 4WD sedan version called the Toyota four(kinda ugly really).
these are a Japanese built car, built in right/left hand drive models, for japan and Europe. they effectively  were not sold in any other domestic market. They are of a rarity, though there not all that uncommon as people tend to believe, purely being they were sold in two domestic markets only. The only one people are really familiar with is the GP Turbo variant.

Plans for the car is to bring it back to its former glory, interior/exterior. I will put it onto historic registration and just enjoy the car. It needs a hell of a lot of work, it's at Rock Bottom as per Eminem's song. lucky I have some literature I've owned for a considerable time. I'm going to need these with this car, this is a big hill to climb with this car.

images (7).jpeg

post-9463-1258753804_thumb.jpg

P_20190331_084907_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190504_100538_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

• 5 months later...

hey mate I just bought a GP turbo and got it back together and running the other day all I had was a crappy Haynes manual and another crappy 3rd party manual for a tercel. Which didn't cover the turbo model at all and made working on the car difficult so if I could some how get a copy of those would be amazing there is next to no information on these cars and what is there is vague and confusing. Any help would be great! 

Snapchat-768436008.jpg

• 1 year later...

Its November 2021, guess I should do an update, this is a build thread after all.

This is how I bought the car, and it being transported to my house.

The car wasn't technically for sale, I spoke to the owner on several occasions expressing my interest in the car(without harassing him), and mentioning the close history this particular car had. There were other cars I was looking at buying as well, though these don't come up for sale often, so missed a few potential buys in quick succession. after some months of communication, I got to meet the owner in person, and discuss the car and its history up to the point of him owning it. Anyway, long story short, after lots of contemplation by him, the car familiar to me is now mine. I have kept in contact with the previous owner for project updates etc, we get on pretty well.

This initial plan was to fix the wiring dilemma and get it running again. though it was mouldy inside, dirty outside, and smelt pretty bad(many years of storage). so I decided I would do a full clean down and decontamination first on it, then worry about getting it running.

Anyway, hopefully this build thread will be of interest to someone, enjoy to ride with me!

P_20190331_084907_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190427_081436_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190331_085040_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190331_085214_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190504_094346_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

With my trusty assistant; The first problems to overcome was getting the bonnet to open/close, get the doors to open close. The bonnet issue being a worn spring on the latch, and the release cable being gummed up. So I got new springs for the latch and gave the cable a good clean and silicone lubrication. I then had to pull the front guards out so the doors would open. This gave me access to the engine bay and the inside of the car. Time to get started!

P_20190504_100758_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190505_100603_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190505_122059_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190505_121537_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Next step was to deal with the mould in the car. It was mainly on the drivers side dash area, so i bought a bottle of disinfectant, undiluted, went to town and sprayed everything in the car. I hit the mouldy sections several times to ensure they were gone. this was a health hazard on its own, the smell coming from the car was pretty ripe, even the trusty assistant wasn't keen on it either. I believe the cause for the moisture ingress is from the top of the windscreen where the external mouldings meet, there is a gap and potentially water is coming through there? Anyway, when i wash the car that will give me an indicator of where its coming from. Now that the smell is better, not actually gone though, I can comfortably start working on the car. I haven't got alot of working space in my garage, so I have to work compactly and efficiently.   

P_20190507_175056_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190507_180638_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190507_180626_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190507_180703_vHDR_Auto.jpg

I started attacking the engine bay, cleaning/decontaminating. I started with one of the coolant hoses and the intake pipe for the air filter. This was a test on how well it would perform with a detail. Happy with the results, the photos are not the best, though you get the idea on the before/after impressions. the cleaning will be slow and tedious, while I'm in there, I want to make sure its the nest results I can achieve.

hopefully people are enjoying the build thread and photos on the updates. I can only get 4 photos per update due to the 20mb cap. 

P_20190506_143522_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190506_152213_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190505_201150_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190506_153442_vHDR_Auto.jpg