4A-FC hot up engine

Dan4A-FC

Members dont see this ad

How far are you planning to go?? Carbs, cam, compression & a porting job?

It will keep up with the traffic but it will never get near 4AGE power, 8valves will never rev as easily....  Depends on your budget and what you want to do with it.

Edited by altezzaclub
  • Like 1

Ah!  Of course, I was thinking of the 4AC in the AE71, you've got 15KW over that single-cam unit already.

Well, any time people have suggested doing up a 4AF everyone says "drop in a 4AG"... I expect that is worldwide so no-one has spent much time in developing the 4AFs.

Dang!  Reading Wikipedia I can see why!

" The 4A-FE is different from the 4A-GE in terms of performance and power. Although both have the same displacement and are DOHC, they were optimized for different uses. The first obvious difference are the valves, the engine's intake and exhaust valves were placed 22.3° apart (compared to 50° in the G-Engines). The second is that it employed a "slave cam system", the camshafts being geared together and driven off one camshaft's sprocket (both camshafts' sprockets on the G-Engine are rotated by the timing belt). Some of the less directly visible differences were poorly shaped ports in the earlier versions, a slow burning combustion chamber with heavily shrouded valves, less aggressive camshaft profiles, ports of a small cross sectional area, a very restrictive intake manifold with long runners joined to a small displacement plenum and other changes. Even though the valve angle is closer to what is considered in some racing circles[who?] to be ideal for power (approximately 25 degrees), its other design differences and the intake which is tuned for a primary harmonic resonance at low RPM means that it has about 10% less power compared to the 4A-GE engine. This engine design improves fuel efficiency and torque, but compromises power. "

You're really on the back foot with the carb version, 71KW and 127NM, even the injected F had a big jump to 84KW & 145NM.  So it looks like a good porting job would be a start, you might ask odelskewoltoy his thoughts, he's a head porter in the USA. He's on here as well.

https://www.club4ag.com//forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&p=134326#p134326

If the heads are cheap, buy a 2nd one from a wrecker and expect to ruin one in your education.  I have a feeling your whole budget could vanish into having it done commercially, but ask a few shops anyway.  it looks like it will be a battle to get it to rev high, so aim for torque.  Carbs...  can you fit twin DCOE Webers in there??  a single DCOE? Quad bike carbs??  You'll probably need to make your own inlet manifold for them either way. Cams that aim for lift more than massive duration, an exhaust of medium size rather than large..

Lots of reading to do-

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/134-corolla-6th-generation-1988-1992/356232-4af-engine-modifications-idea-problems.html

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/134-corolla-6th-generation-1988-1992/381051-modified-corolla-1600-16v-4af-carb-engine.html

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/16-archived-corolla-threads/136189-4af-mods.html

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/16-archived-corolla-threads/102365-cheap-mods-4af.html

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/134-corolla-6th-generation-1988-1992/29170-4af-performance-tuning.html

Well well, look at this!

https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/64392-4AF-head-prep-and-porting?s=95332339e6fe1c856317a743897c4d62

Plenty to get you thinking-

As someone who has fitted 16 valve 4AGE’s into an AE82 and an AE86, do bear in mind it isn’t simply a matter of swapping the engines along with a few extra components.  There are very many differences, especially with wiring looms, fuel systems and don’t forget suspension and brakes etc. 

If you are paying someone to do it, it will cost an absolute packet.  

Depending on what model Corolla you have, if there is a 4AGE equipped model in the same model range, think VERY seriously about finding one with a rough body and swapping EVERYTHING across.  It will be far cheaper for you, and mechanically not too hard to do yourself. 

Its also a lot of fun

• Like 1

And straight away, what do I find on the Facebook page. I reckon you would get it cheaper than that, but looks to good to use as a donor.  Not what you want to do perhaps, but that’s the reality of a 4 afc. And in the long run it will always be worth more than your Nova I’m afraid, as tidy and cared for as it clearly is.   

Think hard before you go spending much on yours, as $3000 won’t go far unfortunately

F507A3B8-9DF4-4BCC-86DF-AF8634D334A6.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parrot said:

And straight away, what do I find on the Facebook page. I reckon you would get it cheaper than that, but looks to good to use as a donor.  Not what you want to do perhaps, but that’s the reality of a 4 afc. And in the long run it will always be worth more than your Nova I’m afraid, as tidy and cared for as it clearly is.   

Think hard before you go spending much on yours, as $3000 won’t go far unfortunately

F507A3B8-9DF4-4BCC-86DF-AF8634D334A6.png

I completely agree with you champ thank you. I might just put it on club reg and run it into the ground 

17 hours ago, altezzaclub said:

You're really on the back foot with the carb version, 71KW and 127NM, even the injected F had a big jump to 84KW & 145NM.  So it looks like a good porting job would be a start, you might ask odelskewoltoy his thoughts, he's a head porter in the USA. He's on here as well.

Pretty sure the 4AFE never had 84kw in Aus (some of the imported AE95s might have had the high-comp version), if it's a locally-supplied 4AFE then it'll be ~75-78kw

Well, its so clean its worth putting some money into so you get a car you love and keep it for 20years..  I'm sure no-one would have thought KE70s would be worth keeping for 40years, but they are quite sought-after now.

Save up more cash and do the 4AGE conversion, at least you can do that yourself. If the exhaust rusts out in the meantime put a larger one on with sports mufflers, and if you're really keen find a free-flow aircleaner setup, but anything more would be costly for not enough gain. I couldn't find any of the major cam grinders in Aussie advertising 4AF cam profiles, so that might be a sticking point for internal mods straight away.