Electrical gremlin

G46

hi,

i own a 1982 KE70 GL converted to DX appearance, one thing i notice is the car is not charging, bought a brand new alternator and regulator, still not charging..then i started contacting few of my friends, downloading almost relevant wiring diagram, came up with a missing main relay. Then i manage to source a relay from a a friend who has the same car but the car is heavily rusted and no longer roadworthy, i pulled the fusebox from it, install the main relay, bam a click on the relay, but the car still wont charge, i  checked the charge fuse, its not getting power, i checked the "10A engine fuse" its not getting power, so i pulled the engine fuse out (based on wiring diagram troubleshooting) now it has power supply (checked by a test light and a multimeter) i double confirm by removing the main relay, and the supply is gone, so i put back the relay in. 

now if i put the engine fuse back in, the supply will be gone, no 12V, from the diagram, it wont even activate the "switched source" to the regulator..hence i my regulator will not work and will not charge.

i appreciate if there is detailed schematic of the fusebox or whatever pinpoint i should look at.

Members dont see this ad

Hi Gee,

Altezzaclub on here is the man most familiar with KE70 wiring diagrams.

Here is one he put up in another thread on here. In this wiring diagram, he has already highlighted the alternator charging circuit.

KE70 Wiring Diagram

I trust that assists.  Let us know how you got on.

P.S.  I presume the alternator you got hold of, is one with an onboard regulator, not external.

If so, then I think your problem is the fusible link has gone o/c. An alternator with an internal regulator does not require a relay or fuses generally. It large terminal is connected directly to the battery +ve terminal, via the fusible link.  The alternator fuse has no bearing on whether the alternator will charge. It is just for the charge warning light on the dashboard.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

hi Banjo, 

yes he did replied my PM, anyhow my alternator that i got is externally regulated still, i believe the problem goes from downstream after engine fuse 10A, if i remove the fuse, i got supply upstream, if i put in fuse (introduce load downstream) it shuts off..thus not activating the external regulator to switch on

Edited by G46

Are the external regulator & alternator you have, a matched pair ?  ie: designed & manufactured by the same company, as a working pair.

Is it a DENSO unit ?

A picture or model number of the alternator & external regulator would help.

Once we identify it, we should be able to draw you a wiring diagram, as your setup on your KE70 is obviously different to what we have in Australia.

Cheers Banjo 

Regulator is different brand from what it had in the car, but i also don't know what brand it had in the car..so i have a look on the wiring diagram, i tried giving a switched source to the regulator, it disables my starter circuit, brake warning lights..therefore unable to crank..if i disabled the switched source, it will still activate the starter and everything works fine except i have no charging

Huge update, after fiddling around with the help of keith's diagram, i found no tampered wire, but the new alt wont work with my car, and i have oem busted regulator, installing new regulator with the old alt works like a charm..i guess I'm gonna return the new alt, anyway what alternator with integrated regulator will work with the engine without modifying the bracket?

Depends on how long you're going to keep the car...  The old alty will wear out & a new bracket is not that hard a job. Its probably worth mailing a bracket from Aussie, although if you can easily return the alty & get your cash back you might as well.

Where abouts are you?? Did you buy the car?  Is it going to be your daily driver or do you drive something else? Stick up some photos..

gonna keep the car as part of my project car, not really a daily but more into appreciating the old car..i swapped my motorbike for this car, since i have newborn kid, so there will be not much time to ride again, i rather get a car which can bring my wife and kid to go out with..this is the current looks for the car, of course the wheels will be changed. i have a 15x8x9 et0 wheels on standby..managed to fix the not charging issue, also next is to get the headlights working again and A/C to be recharged.

i have 1993 BMW 730i, 2012 kia optima and 2012 toyota fortuner..

IMG20190413174036.jpg

Thanks, but i like to keep it to stock engine, as chaging the engine to make it road legal is quite a hassle here. next on my list:-

-fix the headlight wiring
-recharge the AC (is it R12?)
-15x8x9 ET0 wheels wrapped in 195/50/15
-full interior cleaning and bacteria killing

1 hour ago, altezzaclub said:

Woo! Nice! I was expecting something rougher than that!  So it can be a project car that is off the road being worked on while you do an engine upgrade.

In 15years your first-born can drive it!!

I agree, if this car is still holding strong, I'm gonna let my first born to drive it