My Little Ke55...

MI55KE

Hi all,

I just recently purchased an unregistered 1981 Corolla KE55 Sedan for $300 with only 264,000 k's. In pretty good condition, paint needs a bit of work but it's definately a work in progress.

post-1598-1147179830_thumb.jpg

post-1598-1147179887_thumb.jpg

At the moment it is running just the standard 4K-C engine and 4sp gearbox. Hoping to maybe upgrade to a 2TG engine and upgrade to a 5sp T50 gearbox. I've heard this is the most common conversion...but unfortunately can't do all this until i get off my P plates (stupid new laws!).

As mentioned before, paint needs some work, hoping to do a respray of the current colour.

Pretty clean inside, apart from the usual wear and tear you expect from a 25 year old car.

Took it for a pink slip today, and unfortunately it didn't pass. The front driver's seat needs to be recushioned or will be looking around for a second hand one in better condition. Also the Idle Arm and the Steering Column Box need fixing apparently so hopefully getting that fixed in the next week.

Tyres at the moment are pretty standard, want to replace and chuck some 15" Rims on there, looking around for some that suit it. Any ideas will be welcomed!

Oh not to mention the very loud cannon exhaust....!

post-1598-1147179959_thumb.jpg

Cheers

~*CaRz!*~

Members dont see this ad

Nice ride. Dude, Give her a polish. You'd be surprised at how the paintwork will come up.

As for the drivers seat i've heard that all you need is seat covers to cover whatever damage it has.

Jon.

you can't have a torn seat (may get caught in the ivent of an emergency exit) but covering it with a seat cover will do, but if the base has let go and your sitting on the floor or springs are showing.... no good, yes you can fix it yourself but in to lazy to type it :) unless you want me to

don't you mean OUR little KE55, dear? Remember's who is funding it at the moment too :D just kidding

Update: bought two front seats and seatbelts from the wreckers today, both in good nick with no tears, sagging etc, along with a windscreen wiper motor, $200 for the lot. All thats left now is to get the steering fixed and she'll be on the road, all nice and legal

HAHAHAHA... marital disputes :( gotta love em.

Welcome aboard guys :D and I have to say for the dollars, that is a top little score there. Straighter than my one when I bought it.

Definitely one project I'm gonna keep an eye on :(

Update...

Got some new seats put in from a CS KE55 which were cloth ones in very good condition, unlike mine which were vinyl and ripped to shreds. Also put a new seatbelt in the drivers side as the old one was tattered and probably not passable.

Bought a wiper motor because the one that is in there is reeealllly slow, so hopefully another one will be better. Got this all at the wreckers for a total of $200 (originally $220 but i got it down $20) so wasn't too bad.

Next i'd like to pull apart the dash and take a look at the wiring, what goes where etc. And try to re-wire the cd player whch is connected to god knows what, as it only comes on when switched to "on" and not accessories. Don't know if it's possible to change that with such an old car but i'll see what i can do. Also looking to see what my little mystery switch is connected to, if anything. I think its there just for decoration.

Hopefully booking the car into the mechanics in the next week to get the steering fixed, that is the idler arm and steering column box. And to see if they can figure out a rattle in the front of the car.

And then off to get a green slip and get it registered.

Now i have to work on getting my P plates so i can actually drive it (legally!)

Cheers

~*CaRz!*~

Hey all,

Got some more pics...have to take more once i get hold of a camera again.

post-1598-1148219818.jpg

post-1598-1148219845.jpg

The new seats, which my cat decided to use as a new place to settle!

post-1598-1148219893.jpg

Inside with my groovy new seat covers..i had to get red to match the car!

Going to take more of dash, inside etc...

Cheers

~*CaRz!*~

Cute cat.

And that interior looks neat as. This is going to make a good little project

Carpet is pretty crappy though, you really have to be careful with the vacuum otherwise the whole interior is sucked up.....I'm not even going to try going to Carlovers and using the vacuums there :)

Still, it'll go at one stage when we try and get the whole interior colour coded, along with the door trims (robins-egg blue doesn't go well with Australia Post red)

• 5 weeks later...

Just a little update...

Finally got the car fixed up, that is the seat bracket, fan belt, idler arm and steering column box...all done for the cost of $66. Was really happy about that. So it passed pink slip, will be getting it registered next week so i can finally drive it! (Legally!)

Cheers

~*CaRz!*~

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Been awhile since i update this page. And alot has been done.

Car is now registered and roadworthy and has been zooming around the streets with L plates on for quite a while!

We were looking at the prospect of putting better wheels on, but didn't want to go anything new or "bling".

Found some MA61 Supra Rims, 14x7" which looked great, and were a bargain at $300 (with tyres).

Just put them on yesterday and they look awesome!

Front wheel going on, car still jacked up

post-1598-1154480395.jpg

The test drive (note the car is naturally lowered, due to having 3 people in the car..)

post-1598-1154480725.jpg

The end result, all wheels on

post-1598-1154480466.jpg

The tyres (they're huge but i like them!)

post-1598-1154480527.jpg

Other pics we took that look great...

post-1598-1154480630.jpg

post-1598-1154480664.jpg

Let me know what you think....i think they make her look alot more beasty :lock_folder:

Cheers

~*CaRz!*~