How to identify original colour ke55

Hey all, new here and I'm about to purchase my first rolla, it's a 1980 ke55 and I'I'tmrying to work out the original paint colour and trim, however none of the numbers of the build tag seem to be relevant?

JC-TH-GH for the paint /trim

Any ideas? 

Cherrs

Members dont see this ad

Hi  Simon,

Welcome aboard !   First let us know where you are located.  Back in the 70s & 80s, some Corollas were not imported complete. Some were manufactured in the local country, from parts, & often painted locally. Therefore if paints were sourced locally, the colours could be slightly different from country to country.

That was the case here in Australia, where Rollas were assembled at AMI in Melbourne, & used local paints.

Post us a picture of your car.  If you believe it has never been repainted,  & we know it's origin country, someone on here may well be able to assist you.

P.S.  A good "paint shop", should always be able to match your existing paint colour.

Have a look at this website, which lists many of the Toyota paint codes.

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_codes_toyota_A-G.php

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hey mate, Thanks for the reply, I am in qld Australia and the car is in Melbourne, just trying to make sure it's unmolested and if it has the original paint and trim, I'll attach some photos

In the boot the paint has been scuffed and is yellow underneath but unsure if maybe it's just primer? 

20190603_113507.jpg

20190603_113427.jpg

20190603_113323.jpg

20190603_113401.jpg

20190603_113413.jpg

That yellow paint is also on the hinges and the edge under the rear boot seal. And is it under the right tail light too?

That pin striping looks fairly original unless someone went to great lengths to put it back on after a respray.

Pretty neat looking car even if it has been repainted, and red is better than yellow....

I found it finally it's called centre red so it's the original colour, not sure what the deal with the yellow in the boot is unless it's undercoat.

The paint under the taillight is coming off as the owner said it had a hit in the rear 1/4 back in the 90s so I guess it had a 1/4 panel at some point.

As for the trim code I can't find any reference for it

Those seats are covered in the original wool fabric that came out in the KE55 and the door cards and carpet all look to match. My daughter has an 80 KE55 and the interior style is the same but in a pale blue. So unless someone has gone to a big effort and completely swapped the interior it would be a fair assumption it is original to the car. Those shiny  chrome strips on the wheel arches are a nice breeding ground for rust so have a close look there for any signs of rust developing or bog. Very neat car. What are your plans with her? Keep us updated.

On 6/3/2019 at 8:31 AM, Banjo said:

Have a look at this website, which lists many of the Toyota paint codes.

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_codes_toyota_A-G.php

Cheers Banjo    

Pretty handy reference for the codes but I know some of the dates are wrong, OKA Diamond White is listed as being 2000- when in Australia at least it was available from the early/mid 90s on the Corolla and Camry (have had both).