Club-K forums to close down

http://www.club-k.co.nz/Forums/

" Thanks to a generous donation from one of the clubs longest standing members (WDE_BDY) the forum will remain online until 17/02/2020.  Until that time registrations have been turned off, as has posting of new topics and replying to old topics. The forum is now just a information database or portal and the search feature is your friend. The way we figure it is that if it hasn't been asked in the last 17-18 years then it can't be that important a question. "

Ouch- all that knowledge will vanish!

Edited by altezzaclub

Members dont see this ad

I can’t say I’ve ever been there. Maybe once or twice. 

But god I hate what faceplant has done to forums. What I don’t understand though is why forum activity has dropped away in the face of Facebook. From an info perspective, the quality of discussion is largely laughable. The ability to contribute a build thread seems non existant. For selling it works well, but otherwise it’s just a place to talk shit that wouldn’t be tolerated on a half decent forum. 

Sadly true..  I don't mind is people waste their time on Facebook etc, but if we are to actually lose the information on forums we will be looking for the non-existent town libraries to find out how to do anything on vintage petrol-powered cars in a decade or two. There may not be much desire to add anything further to the various forums, but to delete them is like burning the Bible. If there is no history on the internet, history will get re-written be every new Govt!

The internet was good between the years of 2000 and 2010. From then it started to go down hill for enthusiasts and nerds.... but went massively uphill for the general population (social media, faceballs, instagram, twitface). It's not really these companies fault, they just saw a market that was obviously there and ran with it and it obviously paid off. 

Facebook groups for things are just a disaster for everything other than getting likes on photos. 

Facebook is losing numbers though, the teenages arent on it anymore. Do 17yr olds tinker with their first cars in the garage these days? i suppose so? where do they get their info?

Its hard to say, unless your 17.  Perhaps, as the times have changed, the car culture isn't what it once was, what with anti hoon laws and all that bullshit.

One things for sure, the 17 year olds aren't buying 700 dollar regoed manual ae71s any more like we were 10 years ago.  They are buying whatever is 700 dollars today, and has potential to be fast.  Its likely not a corolla.

Agree with Pete's sentiments.

Was driving along the road the other day, & saw a young guy on his front lawn, with a KE Rolla with the bonnet up, & a mobile engine hoist next to the car, so assumed something like an engine transplant, might be the order of the day,

Pulled into his driveway, & introduced myself as Banjo from RollaClub, & asked what was up with his Rolla. (chassis had rust, so engine was coming out to go into another donor  Rolla)

Asked if he was a Rollaclub member.   Yes  was the answer.  Heard of you, he said, but I don't go on the website very often; stick to Facebook.

He was in his early 20s.

He was no less enthusiastic that any other Rolla guy I've ever come across. The engine he was about to remove was a 7K EFI  with a LiteAce ECU.

Really nice guy, just a different generation.

Sadly true..  I don't mind is people waste their time on Facebook etc, but if we are to actually lose the information on forums we will be looking for the non-existent town libraries to find out how to do anything on vintage petrol-powered cars in a decade or two. There may not be much desire to add anything further to the various forums, but to delete them is like burning the Bible. If there is no history on the internet, history will get re-written be every new Govt!

This is so true !  Not only will rich history & knowledge be lost, but we won't be able to read it anymore, at the rate we are going.  The only people who got it right were the Egyptians.

They wrote everything down on clay tablets, with impressions, & today after 2000+ years we can still read it.

My evidence:

A tenant in my rental house, who services computers for small accountants & solicitors in our area, knew I was into electronics, & asked whether I has a an olde floppy disc drive.

We are talking the original the original 4.5" "floppy" disks.

I asked, why on earth would need one of those ?

One of his solicitors had a client who had died. They opened his safe deposit box at the bank, & there was his last will & instructions,  . . . . . . .  on a 4.5 inch floppy disk.

Luckily, being a hoarder, I did actually have one, & my tenant became a hero to the solicitor.  Apparently, he has since discovered this is not an isolated case.

Cheers Banjo

Love it!  I'm going to go and put my will onto my last 4.5" floppy, give my kids something to do!  My bro hid all sorts of things like his gold nuggets and made a treasure hunt for his adult daughters before he died. They phoned me and asked if I had any because they reckoned they didn't have them all!

Oh I love treasure hunts !  Especially if there are gold nuggets involved. 

! watched a doco on TV, on Lightening Ridge recently, where these olde miners just keep digging, hoping to find that illusive opal.

You'll love this article on the ABC website today.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-13/vintage-toy-collector-and-australias-post-war-story/11299538

Cheers Banjo

Don't blame them, exhausting keeping something running that you're no longer emotionally invested in. Not even that convinced there's much knowledge to be lost. Forums are a dreadful way of sharing it and facebook just accelerates the here and now nature of it.