Timing a 5K won’t start

AliAusten

Members dont see this ad

So it’s running now there might be voltage issue or could over heating cause this bc it will run Alg after I turn it off it won’t run again unless I leave it for about 10 minutes otherwise it dosent want too crank properly and also the carb is sputtering at acceleration and won’t go over 40kmh I’m pretty sure that’s too do with timing but I’ve tried turning the dizzy side too side while giving it a bit off gas and it still does it just trial and error at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again I’m having an issue with the electrics my lights all work but when I turn it too the first click none off the dash lights come up and won’t turn over it’s completely dead do you think this is the main or somthing too do with voltage battery is brand new and new leads as the others where half snapped on the ends since then iv got this issue I replaced all the ends that connect too positive on battery aswell and iv got a new relay 

" Iv got the timing set now still wouldn’t start I had a guy come have a look and he said my carb was stuffed the two jets are throwing way too much fuel in there so it flooding is there a way too fix that issue "

What did you do about the carb jets??

" I’ve tried turning the dizzy side too side while giving it a bit off gas and it still does it just trial and error at the moment. "

Did the guy who looked at it have a timing light??    ..or was it "That's about right, it should run"

Today's problems..  What is "first click"??  Is that ACC (accessories) on the key? or is it first click of the light switch, so it turns on side-lights?

The general circuit is here, I expect when they say "meter" they mean the dash lights. You can see what else should come on all at once, the ashtray etc, so see if it is just the instrument cluster not working, or all those lights circled in red. That will give you a clue where the problem is.

1796886913_Dashlights.thumb.jpg.e6c10fcbb7fcb3909c603f1e5d26c9c8.jpg

" and won’t turn over it’s completely dead "

That's why I wondered if "first click" was on the key..    So is it permanently dead and won't turn over? That is simple to solve, as only one wire goes to the starter motor. Just pull it off the starter solenoid, its black and white, and see if it has 12V with a multimeter when you crank the car.

OK, check that the heater fan motor is working. It is on that circuit too, as are the brake lights.

If it is not,  find that main white wire that comes off the battery and goes through a fusible link. See if the fusible link is passing power to the white wire.

If the fan motor works, find the tail light fuse and check that. Use a multimeter to see the fuse has a circuit, and use the meter to make sure 12V is coming in to the fuse.

If its OK, find the tail light relay and see that it has power too. Its probably under the dash in the driver's kick panel.

I was messing about under kick panel and the accessory’s are working now radio brake lights indicators etc but the starter is still not turning . 
so nothing seems too wanna work with everything else going like the if I do indicators individually it’s fine and turn radio at same time it will stop working and if I use radio and turn on indicators the radon will stop working so it’s not getting enough volts too power more then one a thing at a time 

Edited by AliAusten

Well, if you really want to keep it, it will teach you a lot. First, get a fully charged battery. Connect up one lead and tap the other one on its terminal. If it sparks, find out what is drawing current. You could use a 12v bulb to test it, or a multimeter if it doesn't spark or is a very small spark. Get it so it doesn't use power just sitting there.

If nothing is drawing power, start checking everything one at a time and make each circuit work. check all the wiring and tidy up any wires that have been fked around with.  Shouldn't take you more than a month to fix...

• Like 1

not selling it at this stage too far in too give up now it’s good for learning on and it’s fun too drive when it actually goes. feels like your driving a go-Kart.  Iv softer it now cranks and everything is getting power like it should there were a couple bad connections in the kick panel in drivers side and in the engine bay . Thanks for always helping out bro would never have a clue where too start if it wasn’t for your knowledge. 

Edited by AliAusten