KE55 steering coupling

corollaart

So my steering coupling is a shagged ,been looking for a replacement .

The only one i can find is here https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-LITEACE-KM20-YM20-CM20-TRUCK-PICKUP-COUPLING-ASSY-STEERING-COLUMN-1-Piece/322331289140?fits=Plat_Gen%3AKE55&hash=item4b0c712634:g:pZ4AAOSwTkFcY0lG&frcectupt=true

Sort of looks ok ,ive checked nolathane but there don't seem to have them .

Just wondering if theres a compatible one out there ?appently the early light aces ,are the same but can't find them eather!.

I was thinking of a early holden ,ford ,valiant or some thing that might share the same bolt pattern???

Short of cutting up a bit of 10mm plate ,I'm not to sure what i could do .lol

Any help would be appreciated 

cheers rob

Members dont see this ad

Thanks Jono and Keith 

I would love to get rid of my f##king steering box it has to many moving parts ,old and shagged.

I m not across converting it to rack and getting it right and safe.I would think that ke70 column and rack would be  a start .

There are very few 70 left in northern nsw ,Keith and Steven have them all lol.

I have a few old coupleing  laying around ,i was just seeing what else i could get or what others have done .

The alloy option sounds interesting ,i could make them my self ,we have lots of alloy at work.

Arent these suppose to collapse in a crash?or more of a dampiner between column and box?

thank guys 

I thought they just allowed an angle difference between the column and the box, like a cheap UJ for small angles. They will take vibration out of the steering wheel, and allow an angle to develop between the box and the column in a crash, but they don't stop the column coming upwards and smacking you in the face like the sliding joint does.

The KE70's UJ allows a much sharper angle in the steering shaft so the rack can be mounted further back with the same steering column angle, otherwise we'd be driving buses.

Knock one up out of any plate lying around and try it. If there is an angle change, as seen from the side, between the column and the box shaft then the plate will flex as it turns, and the steering will get tight and loose as it turns. If they are parallel then a solid one will be fine.

(We do have random racks and columns lying in cars out in the paddock...)

Edited by altezzaclub