Why my dashboard fuse blow (ke70)

Toyota ke70

Members dont see this ad

here's a wiring diagram

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0xs2udvrv9qfl2/downloadfile.jpg?dl=0

You will have to check everything electrical and see what works and what doesn't, then see which wire powers all those that don't work.

You can see the wipers and turn are fed off the BY wire, maybe that's the problem. Does the rear defog work?? That's on the same circuit.

There will be a short circuit through a broken wire somewhere, that's what usually causes the fuse to blow.

Maybe...  taking the fuses & relays out and in usually scrapes the dirt away so they still get a good contact.  You could check with a $10 multimeter and a spade connector to push into the slots.  The top left one looks definitely rusty, can you sandpaper or scrape it clean?    Can you get another one to try?

• Upvote 1

How do you know its charging??

Put a multimeter across the terminals and read the voltage. Usually 11.5 to 12V, then start it and see. It should read about 13 to 13.5volts with a few revs on the engine.

There must be a wiring fault if the alty DOES work but the motor stops when you take a terminal off. The charge from the alty isn't getting to the ECU, a strange problem.

Well its definitely charging.   Can you tell us which wire you used to feed power into the push-start button??

Here's the circuit I'd use. You need 12V power when the ignition is on to feed the button, so jump into the Black/Yellow wire and feed the button from that. From the button to the starter just use the B/W as factory. Any ignition powered circuit will do it, and as it only fires a relay you could use the B/Y after the 10A engine fuse, that would be safer.  Either way I can't see how fitting the button would affect the charging....

I can't imagine what is making it die, maybe its a bad connection in the White wire where it joins the battery terminal.  I wonder if someone changed the factory setup around the fusible links..  So the alty connects to the battery but not through the fusible link, although even then the alty charge wire should stay on the terminal when you lift it off..

Push start wiring.jpg

I've seen the same symptoms in my ke11 and my father's old FJ20 swapped datsun 510. I had the "signal" wire for the regulator to the battery wire post on the alternator, it apparently loses the 12v signal and stops charging. May not be your issue, just thinking out loud.

The "S" terminal on the alty needs a 12V reference, so you can run a separate wire to the S terminal, or hook it into the IG wire so turning on the key does both.  You might have it wired so when you take a battery terminal off the alty loses that 12V to S, and it stops charging so the motor stops working.  I can't see how, but its possible. 

I've never taken the battery terminal off when the 4AGE is running, maybe mine does the same... 

DJ 4AGE alty wiring.jpg

how to wire an alty.jpg