1979 TE31

Misael

Members dont see this ad

Check these spark plugs out fellas. These are the worse I've ever seen!

Wow !  Usually my hands are dirtier than the spark plugs.  In your case, it is the reverse.  Your hands are a darn sight cleaner than the plugs.

If plugs are like that, it could indicate no regular maintenance has been done on this engine for a while.

When you picked it up, had it been sitting unused for a while ?

I'd be getting the oil out of the sump quick time, & getting some new oil in there, with new oil filter.    

Then the "compression test", is a must, before you do anything else, as others have advised.   (don't forget to run the engine to operating temperature, before doing the compression test)

Remove all spark plugs before doing the compression test.  If the resultant pressures come in down around the 130 PSI mark, put a teaspoon of engine oil in each spark plug hole, & repeat the test.  If pressure figures improve significantly, then the lower compression could well be the piston ring & or bore wear.

If the added oil doesn't improve readings, then it is time for the head to come off, to check the valves & seats.

Keep us up to date, with what you find.

Cheers Banjo

17 hours ago, Banjo said:

Wow !  Usually my hands are dirtier than the spark plugs.  In your case, it is the reverse.  Your hands are a darn sight cleaner than the plugs.

If plugs are like that, it could indicate no regular maintenance has been done on this engine for a while.

When you picked it up, had it been sitting unused for a while ?

I'd be getting the oil out of the sump quick time, & getting some new oil in there, with new oil filter.    

Then the "compression test", is a must, before you do anything else, as others have advised.   (don't forget to run the engine to operating temperature, before doing the compression test)

Remove all spark plugs before doing the compression test.  If the resultant pressures come in down around the 130 PSI mark, put a teaspoon of engine oil in each spark plug hole, & repeat the test.  If pressure figures improve significantly, then the lower compression could well be the piston ring & or bore wear.

If the added oil doesn't improve readings, then it is time for the head to come off, to check the valves & seats.

Keep us up to date, with what you find.

Cheers Banjo

Yeah it was sitting in a garage for awhile. Hadn't been used at all really. Last maintenance it had was back in 2016, according to the sticker on the inner driver's door. I just put fresh oil and new filter yesterday actually. I cleaned out the spark plug well and put new plugs and a new set of wires. I discovered a fuel hose leak while doing the oil change. The fuel hose that goes from the fuel filter to the bottom of the carburetor wasn't pushed in all the way and was leaking. Repositioned the clamp and pushed the hose back in. No more drip. Going to try and find some time to do the compression test today. Do I need to unplug the ignition or fuses before doing the compression test? Thanks for the info!

Cranking the engine with spark plug wires disconnected can damage the ignition system. To protect the ignition coil from shorting out, disconnect the primary wires that go to the ignition coil before you perform a compression test.

Stops HV flash overs & the like.

Cheers Banjo

• 2 months later...

Just picked up these new to me 14 inch Konigs yesterday. $100 for the set. That's a come up if you ask me. They need some good cleaning and polishing. It's probably best to just repaint them at this point but not bad. 

Screenshot_20200504-143800__01.jpg

Screenshot_20200504-143732__01.jpg

10 minutes ago, ke70dave said:

konig rewind i think? cool as wheels :D

Yup that's right Konig Rewind. Thanks man! Came up. Just need a good cleaning and polish done. Might paint them bronze. Depends how the polish goes. 

• 4 months later...